Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 October 2016
I've been studying astronomy for a year now, in uni, and have shown some interest in the subject for some time before that. The book in this astronomy pack is excellent. It's planetary science and astronomy in a nutshell. Very nicely illustrated and beautifully edited, with plenty of images that go well with the text and reinforce the message. Interesting factoids here and there. Nice quiz at the back. Immersive in every respect. The planishpere is brilliant. I'd had one from a MOOC on Orion, but it pales in comparison to this. I ordered this specifically because it's a glow-in-the-dark planishpere, and I'm happy I did so. Remember to keep it close to a light bulb for a few seconds before using it, though. The poster is fab. It's on the wall in my study, above a poster I paid tens of pounds to have, and it wasn't even accurate. I recommend this wholeheartedly.
on 14 October 2013
If you plan to buy a planisphere, then get this.
If you don't need the poster and book then give them to a younger member of the family or the local school.
It may be the spark that triggers the 'Patrick Moore' of 20-30 years time.
on 31 August 2012
This pack is great. I bought it for geeky boyfriend and was a bit worried it might be too simple - it is in places, which suits me! But it's great as the star charts and planisphere are complicated enough to soothe even his geeky nature. Would suit children too (or me!) as the poster and planet by planet info is easy to understand and informative. I would say that this is a really good all rounder for everyone to take something from.
on 9 June 2015
My wife bought me a very nice telescope from s locsl retailer for my birthday. Unfortunately it didn't come with a planisphere and the retailer who the stocks more than 60 different telescopes didnt sell planesheres either.
I found this package on Amazon, it's simple, easy to read and understand and good value.
Abover all it makes a good buy.
on 23 April 2014
The only negative I have with this item is that the book does tend to repeat itself a few times. I felt like i read the same thing more than once. I would say its written more with children in mind to a point, but I did find it informative and would recommend it for a beginner. The included Planisphere is excellent. I had an older Planisphere which I liked but this is bigger and glows in the dark (useful!).
on 9 January 2017
WARNING - I purchased this thinking you get a real planisphere - like the stand-alone version. NOT THE CASE. This glow in the dark planisphere is not the same - it does not contain any deep sky objects. It does not have the correct East West orrintation - so whoever you give this to will not learn how to use a real planisphere in the outdoors.

I now need to purchase the stand alone version.

I will say though that the book seems an excellent introduction into astronomy and the poster is lovely but the main reason I bought this was because it was around the same price as the stand alone planisphere by Phillips which is excellent.
on 16 February 2015
Fine astronomy resource.

The excellent enclosed Philip's Glow-in-the-Dark Planisphere can easily cost more than this pack on its own, but in addition there is a good book and a wall chart.

I am pretty sure anyone will be delighted with this pack at the price.
on 19 March 2014
planisphere alone almost costs the same as this pack, the book and poster are great and inspire others to explore the skys
on 7 February 2015
Good for beginners to astronomy. Planisphere is good too. What disappointed me was that the sleeve in which all is stored in was not glued together so had to to be re stuck before giving as a gift. Oddly enough, the poster DID have glue on it so tore a hole when it was opened. Spoiled what would have been a great gift for a ten year old.
on 14 May 2014
I am a beginner in astronomy and was looking for some thing to help me find "THINGS UP THERE" LOL. Well this package did not disappoint. The planisphere is absolutely brilliant, am out on a night pinpointing where the stars are in the night sky. Its truelly amazing what you can see when someone helps with you where to look.