Customer reviews

Philip's Stargazing with Binoculars
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 April 2015
If you are a binoc-owning beginner (I'm not a complete novice, as it happens, but getting back into astronomy after a few years), I can thoroughly recommend this book. I'd previously bought the Tonkin book (see my review) and I rate this as a far better buy for the inexperienced observer. The book is written in an entertaining, almost colloquial way and doesn't go into esoteric detail about the anatomy of binoculars, unlike its competitor, but offers plain, useful advice about choosing, using and maintaining your investment.

I particularly liked the honesty about trying to use binoculars for astrophotography "don't bother" - the main exception being the moon, good results being obtainable with a bit of care.

Only small gripe is that the star maps could have been better (a little lacking in detail for me, although others may disagree), which is why I give
4 stars not 5.
on 19 June 2015
A wonderful introduction to the night sky as you may be able to see it through binoculars. There may well be phone apps that can help you navigate your way around the night sky these days but something like this is a great back-up for those times when your battery dies in the cold night air and, quite frankly, it's incredibly rewarding to learn your way around the night sky without the need of an electronic crutch.
on 6 January 2014
If you are new to astronomy, or wanting to get back into it using binoculars, you must get this book.
I used to have a decent telescope, but haven't been an observer for many years now and wanted to get back into it, but wanted the flexibility that a good pair of bins can give you. I read this book (but not absorbed) from cover to cover the same day I got it (great delivery again by Amazon) and I am glad I did. The section(s) on which type of bins to get were superb and I was able to make up my mind very quickly. (I actually went for a pair of Image Stability bins by canon, which I will write a review about after I use them for a while). This might be a smallish book of a couple of hundred pages, but it is invaluable for binocular theory, choice and what to look at. Well worth the money.
on 28 October 2017
On the whole this is a good book and worth buying. For a reader in the UK it is quite irritating that it seems to focus on a latitude of about 35deg North. Many of the photos don’t actually show any astronomical objects, just a dark square, possibly with a Horizon and some trees at the bottom but the maps and diagrams are good and the text is excellent.
on 1 September 2017
A must have book for stargazing with binoculors, invaluable!
on 29 June 2014
A very comprehensive and clear coverage of types of binoculars and their particular uses. The star maps are good, though on the small side. Highly recommended.
on 11 November 2017
Perfect!
on 9 May 2015
An excellent and informative little book packed with lots of useful suggestions for using binoculars for astronomy and objects to look at. It is also a nice convenient size so can be taken outside or packed with binoculars when travelling
on 13 September 2017
Very good wish I had bought it before I got the binoculars.
on 24 July 2014