on 30 October 2012
Having just passed my LGV and hitting the roads I've found this atlas invaluable.

I had been using my car Sat-Nav but soon found it wants to take me on roads totaly unsuitable for LGVs such as country roads just wide enough to get through and with unsuitable bridges. I now also use the Philips Navigator 2013 Atlas to view the suitability of roads before I set off. I recently had a problem whilst driving at night coming back from a delivery and used the atlas to help me stay on the right roads. It's definately a must for all road users who drive large vehicles or Caravans.

I have now also invested in a Truckers sat-nav which alows me to input the vehicles weight, height, width and length, and ensures I arrive at my destination by avoiding inappropriate routes.

This atlas is well worth investing in and comes with me all the time.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 September 2013
This is a superb map for detailed navigation by road in the UK. The scale is splendid and the "next step up" is the very detailed ordinance survey maps that are too cumbersome for roadway use.

There is however a problem as I found the last time I bought a similar map. That is, because of its size and number of pages, the paper and pages start deteriorating the more the map is used. In major part with the last map, the problem was with the use of ring binding as the pages came loose very quickly. However, with the use of thin paper, the pages also became ragged after a couple of years use. Note that in total that I have only used the map perhaps on average three days a month and this really cannot be classed as "very heavy use" and so the wear and tear is not that good.

After three years use, my last copy needed binning. Nonetheless, the usefulness of the map was and remains so great that I have bought a more up-to-date copy.
on 17 April 2013
Just a quick review,
I needed a good all round back up to my hgv sat nav as I work agency as a hgv class 1 driver. I tend to get alot of different wagons some new, some old some bags of sh.. where nothing in the cab works.
Good points are; its very comprehensive with good city centre best access maps with bridge markers and excellent value for money.
Bad points; very heavy and a little cumbersome and being a ring bound version i'm sure that with a year of serious use that pages would start to shed. The pages are on the thin and flimsy side and the detail can get a little confusing on some places like london central etc.

Over al, well worth getting as a back up to sat nav and for planning best route into city centres etc.
on 17 October 2013
Opened the atlas on receipt, turned to the page with my town on it and I could immediately see that there were numerous errors and omissions. Two 6ft 6in width restrictions aren't marked, 3 fixed speed cameras are missing and one of the local attractions is marked about 2 miles from its actual location. There's also a 7.5 ton weight restriction on part of the road round the town and that isn't marked either. If there are that many errors just for my town then the rest of the atlas is probably just as bad so it can't be trusted. Phillips have also changed the colour schemes and printing style from my previous Navigator and this version is nowhere near as clear.
on 16 July 2013
As an LGV driver when your towing 40ft of trailer you really cant afford to take a wrong turn or end up coming along a road and meeting with a bridge lower than your artic....and this is where this map comes into its own, especially when meeting with detours off main routes.

I use sat nav on my iphone and whilst it will get me from A-B with ease it doesnt take into account my height but with a five minute stop and a quick glance at the Navigator map I can rest assured that my journey will not end up with me meeting a restriction and having to detour unnecessarily.

I would agree that the book is a bit floppy and hardback would be better but for around £11 who cares....and for those complaining that its very small print I would disagree....yes I wouldnt be able to use it accurately whilst on the move but I mainly use it alongside my sat nav not as a standalone guide, so as long as I can pre-check height/weight/width restrictions along a given route I can then confidently put the map to one side and allow sat nav to do its thing.

All in all this map book is tremendous value for money, has superb detail and compliments my free sat nav app superbly!
on 27 December 2017
Bought two of these to use on our Starliner Coaches. Accurate and easy to read. All the restrictions are clearly marked. Who recommend to anyone who drives large vehicles.
on 15 May 2013
Excellent road map at 1.5 miles to the inch, the main reason for buying, and a good enough substitute for a sat-nav! Being an older motorist I feel safer with such marvelous details as well as being better able to explore the nooks and crannies of the UK.
on 18 February 2014
I use a small motorhome and read this was a seriously good road atlas. I don't have width restrictions like the larger motorhomes, but wanted good information.
I am very pleased with this purchase as it gives better clearer info than yer standard road atlas, together with more street plans.
I have dropped it a star for the flimsiness of the pages- I think they will tear and crease easily when in use on the road.
on 7 January 2013
everything in this atlas is clear and precise. I can plan my journey easily and follow it while driving(ok that parts illegal) and if I get a diversion I can soon find an appropriate route for my artic instead of taking some of the stupid long diversions that you get these days.Using this atlas is a lot quicker than messing about with a sat nav. If you go down a farm track after using this atlas then you've only got yourself to blame for not reading it properly..
on 20 November 2013
Easy to see restrictions for bridges etc, Although some could be clearer when close to other roads. Invaluable for route planing for large vehicles and caravans. More detailed maps showing major towns also helpful. Only complaint would be like previous versions the spiral bounding is prone to braking easily. Phillips seem to make the best detail much better that the AA version this is my third edition. Always have in my bag when working as a LGV driver.