on 29 July 2012
I received this item a few months ago and cannot tell you what a difference it has made to my family. My son is just about to be diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, and at the age of 7 he is already proud and loud about it thanks to Asperkids. The message of this book is so positive without in any way underestimating some of the challenges that Asperger's can bring. The author herself has Asperger's so is able to let the rest of us into the mind of our Asperkids in a way that no-one else can. That insight is so so valuable. I loved the section on how to use your child's special interests to engage them and Jennifer Cook O'Toole has so many ideas on how to help with learning (also having a background in teaching). The book feels so generous and I am so glad she took the time to write it. I can't wait for the next books to come. I feel I've been lifted up out of the fog and shown the light. I would recommend this book to anyone with a child with High Functioning Autism/Asperger Syndrome who wants to learn to bridge the gap and reach out and embrace their child's Asperger's.
on 14 February 2013
This book promises much but in my view, fails to deliver. It perpetuates a myth that kids with Asperger Syndrome are all budding geniuses just waiting to find their niche. The author clearly holds herself in very high regard (there are numerous self-congratulatory passages throughout the book) and one is left thinking that what is being described is a family that has been very gently impacted by AS rather than one that has been turned upside down by it. O'Toole concedes that every AS child is different, but her tips and advice don't take these differences into account. It might work very well for her daughter to be taught inventively about 'math' by using visual materials drawn from the world of Greek mythology, but in my experience, many parents of AS children do not recognise such a scenario. What would have been useful (and what I suspect is way outside of O'Toole's experiences) would have been some empathy and advice for parents who have AS children who flatly refuse to learn in the home environment, and cannot find appropriate provision outside of it.
on 5 May 2013
It really helps you get inside the head of your Aspie kid, and Jennifer Cook is so positive about it, it has really helped my relationship with my son, and my acceptance of the diagnosis.

The reason I didn't give it 5*, is that she bangs on a bit about home schooling, and how brilliant she is, and both those things annoy me: I could never home school my children - but it could therefore be a good resource for teachers too
on 20 March 2013
As a mother with a boy very similar to the authors, I found this book enormously insightful. Her writing style belies her Aspergian status - she can certainly get pedantic. But there are real, helpful insights in this book. Particular experiences written with such clarity as to crystalize those frustratingly subtle behaviors that make Aspergers virtually invisible to the neurotypical world.

I would recommend this for anyone dealing with Aspie kids.
on 21 March 2013
This book has helped introduce me to the world where our son resides. The author has shown us how information we think we are imparting can often be misconstrued or lost when dealing with an Aspie. She got us to think a little more from our son's point of view/mindset and how to get info across so that he "gets it". This book has been invaluable to me.
on 25 February 2015
Bought this after my 8 year old was diagnosed and I'm so glad I did. Jennifer's love for her children shines through every page. I empathised so much with her and her journey that it made me cry many times...nut in a good way!
I had been contemplating home educating my daughter and this book helped me to understand how she thinks and learns. It took the fear out of my potential decision, but in the end we moved and she is now thriving in a main stream school with wonderful, wonderful teachers who understand her differences and let her learn in her own way.
Jennifer also has a Facebook page which is very helpful and supportive. When I wrote to tell her of our situation and how her book had helped, she took the time to reply which again is testament to what a lovely lady she is!
Buy the book!! I recommend it to any friends I meet who have newly diagnosed kids. Aside from Tony Attwoods book, this is my no.1 go-to Aspie understanding read!!
on 10 April 2013
I have 2 Aspie kids a girl and a boy, the boy diagnosed early the girl only just now at 14.5 years old. I took this book on holiday to read and research to see what I can do to help and nearly cried, It was like listening to a friend with infinites knowledge, wrought from person experience seeing it through the eyes of the child, Without this amazing insight it is so very hard to see as they see. I could not put it down and am now setting up a learning studio with my daughter for her specifics and one for my son to help them to be the very best they can be. I will also be advising the SENCO at the school of some ideas my daughter and son put forward that I feel will definitely be of benefit to both my children and the school, and hopefully to all other children who pass through under the radar. I am so delighted Jennifer put pen to paper from one Aspie Mum to another, THANK YOU>
on 9 July 2013
Jennifer has an amazing writing style making Asperger's Syndrome sound like a blessing. It is full of positivity all the way through. After reading this book just before my daughter was diagnosed with Asperger's, I was able to tell my daughter about the condition in a very positive and natural way. It is useful reading a book by someone who has Asperger's themselves and also has children with Asperger's. Looking forward to reading more books by the same author.
on 19 April 2013
Great book! Jennifer's extensive experience of living with/alongside aspergers shines through as you read. Great ideas and strategies to try, I feel more confident as an Asper mum to an amazing Asper son implementing these! I highly recommend this book.
on 2 March 2013
While focussed on the Asperger's end of the spectrum I think parents and friends of those on the autistic spectrum would enjoy and benefit from reading this book. I loved it and found it helpful and thought-provoking. Thank you Jenny.