on 25 November 2017
This is a must have book for anyone that has a child in their care that has suffered neglect, especially from a young age. It describes how the brain works and is formed, it gives you plenty of ideas to try and the reasons behind these. I have already put some into practice for my 2 foster boys. This book will help you to understand what is possibly going on in a Childs mind, I'm convinced this book was written for me!

I would definitely recommend this book to foster carers, but also to teachers and parents that have children that are having difficulties, it gives you some understanding and if you are the caring type and willing to learn, then it can help.
on 24 March 2014
I've read several books on empathic parenting, but this has been my favourite to date. It's very simply explained and the author really explains well why children develop certain types of behaviour. She also offers great strategies for dealing with the behaviours likely to be encountered, such as lying, angry outbursts, difficult sibling relationships and sexualised behaviour. I recommend this book to anyone who cares for children who've suffered trauma early in their life. It has given me real insight and confidence.
8 people found this helpful
on 9 October 2014
Very useful advice based on research which is not widely known about. How traditional parenting approaches e.g "time out" or "confiscation" do not work with adopted children. Gave me a new powerful perspective on my adopted child's behaviour. Probably saved our relationship!
12 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2014
This is great book for foster carers or adoptive parents who are caring for traumatised children. If offers an alternative approach to reward/punishment strategies and helps a carer understand why alternative approaches which require a deeper understanding of the behaviour are more appropriate.
6 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2014
I found this book to be very informative, extremely useful and with many difficult areas covered in a down to earth manner. This book has helped me so much to be a more understanding and effective foster carer.
6 people found this helpful
on 26 April 2017
Its a really good book, helps explain why children behave this way and how you can help them, early trauma, and attachment disorder, would recommend
One person found this helpful
on 4 July 2016
I resisted buying this for so long because I dislike the title... now I have read it, I wish I'd overcome that feeling a lot sooner! It's a highly accessible read, offering great insight into the minds of developmentally traumatised children alongside really useful examples of what empathic behaviour management sounds like in action.
on 16 June 2018
This is a great read in understanding behaviours
on 26 April 2018
Brilliant!
on 21 March 2018
So useful. It could have been written about my younger foster son!