I'm not really sure it's possible for a neurotypical person to understand what is really happening in the minds of people with an Autism Spectrum disorder, including Asperger syndrome. Although often referred to as High Functioning Autism, the literalist aspect of Asperger syndrome must be both baffling and frightening.

In some cases, people with Asperger syndrome will interpret all language literally as it is written and spoken. So when it is pouring with rain it really does rain cats and dogs and you really can give a person a piece of your mind. The confusion that this must cause is clear.

This books intention is to teach people to understand the (as it says on the book) meaning of "idioms, metaphors and everyday expressions".

With simple (well, childlike if the truth be told) cartoons the idioms etc explained.

The cartoons do make for entertaining viewing and reading, but I am a little concerned that they may be interpreted as meaning all people with an ASD view the world in a childlike fashion. This is very, very far from the truth.

The book will almost certainly be of value to many people - and it could have also have been used in English as a Second language classes if it had not been so clearly identifies as a book just for people with an ASD.

If nothing else, this book will provide a valuable reminder to people that everyday language can often be impenetrable to people with an ASD.

Having said all this I would still recommend this book to anybody who knows, works with, teaches or loves a person with an ASD.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2012
I am the mother of a nine-year-old who I suspect may be on the spectrum.

Idioms are his nemesis. I had no idea that he didn't know what 'Chicken out' meant until recently, or 'Pull yourself together.' My husband and I watched the TV programme about autism in which you featured and we realised that he and you had a lot in common.

He loves your book and uses it for reference and also for browsing, 'Oh THAT'S what it means,' is something I've been hearing a lot since he started to read it.

In response to the reviewer who was worried that people might think all autistic people view the world in a child-like way I'd say don't worry. I see it more as people on the spectrum poking gentle fun at neuro-typical people and our odd sayings, some of which are very odd indeed when we take the time to examine them!

Thanks again for a terrific little book...and good luck with your physics degree.
on 31 December 2012
This book was "just the ticket" for helping to explain certain phrases and saying that were confusing my son who has autism and takes everything literally. One page shows the saying with a clear picture, and the page next to it shows what it means with a short explanation and picture. I was also pleased it's a hardback too as that will make it last a bit longer in my house! Really useful!
on 2 June 2012
A set of interesting misunderstandings of normal phrases, along with some decent cartoons. Pretty much what the blurb says it is, and I enjoyed it.
on 17 August 2013
My daughter is currently being tested for ASD. She finds idioms and sayings very difficult to understand so I thought this may help her along the way. She loved it and We all found the cartoons very cute and easy to understand along with clear 'transalation' as it were under neath.
My daughter is 11 and I feel it would be perfect for anyone with her possible diagnosis or any other child with similar issue over the age of 8.
Would definately recommend.
So impressed I will be referring it to the SEN at the local school...
thanks
on 2 March 2014
My son is 7 years old and found this book very very funny! He's mildly Aspergers and can take things so literally. I think this book has already helped him to understand that things have double meanings sometimes. He took it into school for show-and-tell and the other children seemed to enjoy it too so I think it is a great tool for any child.
on 2 September 2013
Fantastic book to enlighten all of us 'normal' people into the world of idioms and sayings that ASD people just don't get. Definitely recommend to anyone as light hearted and very informative.

I am a Special Needs teacher, many pupils of which have ASD so I will buy more for my colleagues.

Please spread the word about this book - it's fab!
on 8 October 2013
No complex explanations or history of idioms Michael Barton just cuts to the chase and tells the reader the answer.... Well for some people idioms are a fiendishly complex language puzzle clearly invented to upset and ensnare the unwary. The illustrations are genuinely funny but again not too complex. Excellent.
on 1 September 2012
Purchased "It's Raining cats and dogs" for our ten year old daughter who is diagnosed with ASD. This book is firstly very helpful for those with concrete thinking and who are bewildered by all of the strange saying which we use in everyday speech.This book will definitely help our daughter translate those saying which we all use and she is planning on taking it to school to use like a dictionary to help her understand what people mean to say.

The other fantastic aspect of this book is that it helps reinforce that people with ASD can achieve success and the author who also has High Functioning Autism is a really good role model for our daughter any any one else with ASD.

The language used is very clear and the pictures really help to described what's being said as well as being very funny.
Our daughter loves this book and I would definitely recommend it to any one with ASD.
on 20 April 2013
My son enjoyed hearing this story and I enjoyed reading it to him. A great book that neither of us tire of, a real bedtime favourite . I would recommend this book.