on 20 April 2013
My son enjoyed hearing this story and I enjoyed reading it to him. A great book that neither of us tire of, a real bedtime favourite . I would recommend this book.
on 17 August 2013
My daughter is currently being tested for ASD. She finds idioms and sayings very difficult to understand so I thought this may help her along the way. She loved it and We all found the cartoons very cute and easy to understand along with clear 'transalation' as it were under neath.
My daughter is 11 and I feel it would be perfect for anyone with her possible diagnosis or any other child with similar issue over the age of 8.
Would definately recommend.
So impressed I will be referring it to the SEN at the local school...
thanks
on 4 September 2013
Our grandson LOVED this book. It is an excellent way to help any Aspergers child to access the hidden meaning so common to the many idioms in the English language. He refers to it as his 'joke' book!
on 3 September 2013
My 9 year old Aspie son loves this book. As soon as he opened it and read the first couple of pages it was like a eureka moment - 'oh, that's why people say that!' It is uncomplicated, clear and explains those everyday proverbs and phrases that many of us (neuro typicals) take for granted but for some with autism can just add to an already confusing world. My only criticism is that there could have been more. Other than that, a big thumbs up!
on 2 September 2013
Fantastic book to enlighten all of us 'normal' people into the world of idioms and sayings that ASD people just don't get. Definitely recommend to anyone as light hearted and very informative.

I am a Special Needs teacher, many pupils of which have ASD so I will buy more for my colleagues.

Please spread the word about this book - it's fab!
on 2 March 2014
My son is 7 years old and found this book very very funny! He's mildly Aspergers and can take things so literally. I think this book has already helped him to understand that things have double meanings sometimes. He took it into school for show-and-tell and the other children seemed to enjoy it too so I think it is a great tool for any child.
on 8 October 2013
No complex explanations or history of idioms Michael Barton just cuts to the chase and tells the reader the answer.... Well for some people idioms are a fiendishly complex language puzzle clearly invented to upset and ensnare the unwary. The illustrations are genuinely funny but again not too complex. Excellent.
on 7 June 2014
I bought this for an insight on how a child with ADHD sees our idioms. I'm aware of the condition first hand but I was curious. I found it enlightening and the child with ADHD liked it too.
on 7 January 2015
Absolutely fantastic! is helping my son (with Autism) to get the meanings and the visual images have him in stitches. Brilliant book!
on 29 June 2013
Bought this book at the Autism show for my 8year old daughter (and Michael very kindly signed). She loves it. Read it cover to cover twice, and several times since. She was able to explain that the picture shows what her brain thinks the idiom means. Has just gone upstairs to bed taking this book with her again to read as her bedtime read. This is fantastic for my hubby and I to see as only a year or so ago she disliked reading and found it very difficult.

Thankyou Michael for producing this book. I really think an app would be great too, and that way new idioms could be added. Oh and I love the fact the pictures are outline drawings as I suspect my daughter will colour them in at some point.

I would highly recommend this book for all children with autism. I wish I'd bought it sooner.