on 22 January 2011
I have enjoyed the Peabody journals for years, even seeking out titles in New York that I couldn't get easily in UK, but......for the first time I have put this story down half finished.
Other reviewers are right, it's slow in pace & seems to have been an effort to create a decent plot. Amelia's narrative is not as witty as heretofore, (or maybe I've read too many & am a little jaded!)
Pleasant for bed time reading & I will finish it, but will not be quite so keen to seek out the next installment, sorry Ms Peters, you have served me so well!
on 25 September 2017
Another rip-roaring romp full of murder, intrigue, more than a little humour with all the main heroic characters taking a hand in looking for the Ark of the Covenant.
on 3 May 2013
I love the series, I adore Amelia Peabody but she's running out of steam in what is rapidly becoming a petrol-driven world. I wouldn't ask her to retire but I think the entire Egyptology in the Edwardian world has reached its limits.

If there is a way to continue, it would have to be a next generation taking up the challenges, but there's going to be a loss of allure that gave us so much entertainment in Egypt. It's a good read but it's not the best of the lot.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 February 2014
This is not a bad book but in comparison with most of the series it is rather lacklustre. There is only one strand to the plot rather than the many we are used to and it is pretty unconvincing and the characters seem like caricatures. The parody and tongue-in-cheek sly humour are also missing. It is all extremely average instead of the rollicking good read the earlier books are.
on 21 November 2011
As a long standing fan of Amelia Peabody and E.Peters I have to admit the terrible truth... I gave up after about 20 pages! Such a boring, contrived, uninteresting book I have not had in my hands for a very long time.
There is no story to speak about, the jokes are tedious at best, there is no pace, no mystery...sorry but I would not recommend this book to anyone. If I could give it zero stars -that would be my choice.
on 17 February 2018
Great book I have all the Peabody books and some others cant wait for the new book to come out
on 25 May 2013
It was difficult to get my head round this book. I twas not as absorbing as some of her others in the series and as it was out of chronological order it was hard to place what was happening to the family at this time. I will have to re-read all the books in chronological order and then it may be better. There wasn't as many twists and turns as there normally are. I found I could easily put this one down whereas with many of the others I just wanted to keep reading.
on 8 August 2017
Usual wonderful roller coaster adventure from Elizabeth Peters!!!
on 14 December 2013
I am mad about Egypt and its history and to have such wonderful characters and animals just makes its perfect. I have them all on my Kindle and would now like to have the actual books as I would read them again.
on 3 October 2015
Another winner from Elizabeth Peters. Thoroughly enjoyed this whole series of books and was saddened to hear there would be no more Amelia books for me to read.