TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2014
I thought this was an extraordinary read. Packed full of facts I didn't know and lots of lore as well, plus the reasons behind them. If I had a criticism it would be that he really only concentrated on the infantry except for a brief spell on 8H during Imjin. That leaves the way open for him to bring out an updated and hopefully larger volume which I would enjoy even more if it included tales of the Fighting Irish in such battles as Waterloo, Balaklava, Sidi Rezegh, Normandy, Korea and Gulf War 1.

I'll buy it.
on 23 November 2012
This is a really good read, a book I found difficult to put down. I was especially gripped by the action-packed chapters dealing with the period of the Boyne, the 18th-century and Napoleonic era, and on Irish soldiers in Queen Victoria's army. Irish history is a fascinating topic and Newark's enthusiasm for the topic is evident throughout in this highly readable account.
on 4 August 2013
Well written as you'd expect from an author like Tim Newark. I was disappointed in the Second World War coverage. This has been done much better elsewhere. The story of the Irish Brigade lacks depth and the definitive history of the brigade, Clear The Way! by Richard Doherty, isn't even included in the bibliography. Tim also seems to think that the current Royal Irish Regiment is a revival of the old 18th Royal Irish Regiment that was disbanded in 1922. This isn't so. However, I have to say that this is a useful taster for anyone who hasn't a great knowledge of the Irish soldier but wants to start finding out.

Clear the Way!: History of the 38th (Irish) Brigade, 1941-47 (Irish Brigade, 1941-1947)
on 23 June 2014
I really enjoyed this historical book. The fact that it was written by an Englishman made it even more interesting.
He didn't spare our blushes when necessary but the great far out-weighed the bad..
The Title suggested to me that it might have been about "brawling" Irish and had it not been recommended to me I don't think I'd
have bought it. HOW GLAD I AM THAT I DID.. Our school history was never this interesting
on 8 October 2012
this book was bought for me for the holidays. I found it very useful and easy to read. There were events I thought the author would have used eg the North Irish Horse in the Italian campaign of WW2. But overall I enjoyed the book as it filled in blanks in my knowledge of the involvement of the fighting Irish around the world. I will be reading it again.
on 26 July 2013
Gives one a taste of the Irish soldiers in Foreign Fields. Now I look forward to reading more books from those referenced in this.
on 20 October 2013
a very courageous bunch of lads....you have to admire their level of training and determination. recommended..... here is my next recommendation: From One End of the Rainbow: A Story about the Life Inside the Irish Defence Forces and Beyond thanks, jk
on 2 November 2013
We'll written Very informative thought I knew more than I did. Easy to read. Gives individuals as well as the overall story
on 28 April 2013
as per other reviews excellent book good overall insight, very readable, disregard tazz same old negative rot and bias, by the way Wellington and Montgomery were great Irish soldiers, but so were Collins, Marschal Thomond, Wolfe Tone, John Reynolds and Philiph Sheridan. Tazz does not know what it is to soldier, c' est la vie.