on 4 July 2017
I thought this would be useful for my 13 year old who has developed anorexia, but read it through myself. I was reluctant to pass it on to her as it goes into quite a lot of detail about recovery in an Eating Disorders Unit. I don't don't why, but it just didn't hit the spot for me and, although I did give it to my daughter in the end, she is only very slowly going through it. Maybe its because the author had an "eating disorder voice" and my daughter doesn't......
on 3 May 2017
My daughter has Anorexia , so it was interesting to get into an insight into her emotions & help us understand how our own Daughter
on 14 August 2017
I bought this book to help me understand what my child is going through. This is a heartrending account written by someone who has actually battled this illness. It helped me gain insight on the anxiety and difficulties my child faces and hope that my child will win this awful battle.
on 11 October 2017
Brilliant book
on 25 October 2016
Beautifully wrote
on 8 March 2010
If you want to gain an understanding of how Anorexia changes the thoughts and feelings of a young person, then this is the book to read. Mealtimes and Milestones is a beautifully written diary of true feelings and experiences, full of courage and determination to inspire anyone. Anorexia is such a cruel illness that is very difficult to understand and deal with. All we can do is learn from someone who has been through the illness and has seen the light. This book gives us hope. I would highly recommend it to parents, carers, young people and anyone who has been affected by life threatening Anorexia.
on 24 July 2011
I read this book when it first came out and I have recommended to professionals ( like myself ) who work with children and adolescents, and also to young people suffering from eating disorders and their families. I found it immensely helpful to get inside the head of a young person with anorexia and understand how powerful and destructive the 'anorexic voice' can be. She describes so well how it talks to her and persuades her to stay unwell, in spite of what her family, friends and nurses are saying. Constance is so ill at the beginning of the book and so resistant to getting better, and yet gradually, painfully and slowly she overcomes the illness, she describes each stage so well, really making clear how very hard it is and also how important it is to be continually supported and remembered by her school friends, firmly and lovingly held emotionally by her family and her inpatient support workers.
The diaries are a great holder of hope for families and workers who are alongside their ill young people and an encouragement to keep going even when the patient themselves doesn't want to get better.
on 9 May 2010
I was struck by the honesty and openness expressed in this moving account of Constance's battle with anorexia. It seems to be a commonly misunderstood condition, and it certainly opened my eyes. Having two small daughters, I feel I have gained an insight that I hope is never required, but would at least give me some understanding on what to look for and how to support it. Well done Constance for not only having the courage to beat this illness but also for sharing it for the benefit of others.
on 26 July 2010
I found this book difficult at times, it is an honest and moving account of a teenager living with anorexia. Written as a diary from Constance's perspective it gives the reader insight into her thoughts and the control the illness had over her. I think she is extremely brave and generous to share her experiences with others and would recommend the book.
on 6 May 2010
As a fellow anorexia sufferer, I could easily relate to how she felt and her emotions. She uses her diary written whilst in hospital as her story to show her feelings and activities of the day. This helps to show how she improved and the ups and downs of her expereince in hospital.
It ends with a positive ending as she gets better.
I would recommend this to anyone intesrested in anorexia, any sufferers or anyone close to a sufferer. Great book!