Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 June 2017
I first came across Alison Bruce at the first Deepings Literary Festival where she gave an excellent talk. I bought this book and have not been disappointed. The plot is complex and kept me guessing to the end. I shall read others by this author and recommend her to anyone who likes a good mystery thriller.
I very much enjoyed this book, the first to feature DC Gary Goodhew. Gary is a very promising detective, the youngest to make DC in his station, but he's a little unconventional in his working methods, which is getting him noticed by his boss, and not in a good way.

The author managed to keep me interested throughout the story, and I was never able to guess the perpetrator of the crimes which is certainly the sign of a good crime writer. I would say that the bit where we found out 'whodunit' was a bit rushed and I had to think about it again afterwards to get my head around it all, but in a way that part of the story was incidental to the main theme of the book, which is Gary. The story is very much about him investigating crimes, rather than the crimes themselves. However, I didn't mind that as he's an excellent creation.

This was a great start to a new series of crime novels, and I'm really looking forward to reading The Siren next.
on 2 August 2017
Very enjoyable, lots of twists and turns, will look out for more from this author, and like the character DC Goodhew.
on 8 February 2014
Nice to read about cambridge but that is about all I can say postiive about it ... fairly dreadfully written!
VINE VOICEon 29 January 2011
This is the first in what I assume is a series featuring a young, brilliant detective, Gary Goodhew, who is based in Cambridge. There are a number of significant positives about this book, the main one being the character of Gary Goodhew. Goodhew with his first in maths from Cambridge is rather a refreshing protagonist for a detective series as he doesn't seem terribly tortured, doesn't have a terrible home life, is only in his twenties and appears to be free from cynicism (unlike his colleague Kincaide). I very much enjoyed reading about him and would read the next in the series to see how his character develops and to find out more about him and why his best friend is his grandmother. He seems a thoroughly decent person and I liked this aspect of the book very much. But the plot in this novel is a bit all over the place especially at the end. The denouement is done entirely through speech which makes it quite frustrating to read (and a little boring). I found it very confusing and it didn't entirely seem to tie up with what went before. There are moments throughout where without warning the viewpoint flashes from one character to another and this too is confusing. It strikes me that this along with a few typos should have been picked up during editing. However as I say, Alison Bruce has created a memorable character in her young detective and this book is worth taking a look at.
on 23 November 2013
I bought this because I live in Cambridge and I like a good murder mystery. Although I enjoyed recognising the locations, I didn't really engage with the story or the characters.
on 9 November 2012
I bought this after hearing an interview with the author on our local Cambridge radio station. As a lover of crime fiction this seemed brilliant as I know Cambridge well. Goodhew is a great detective and to have an insight into his home life alongside the crime story made him even more interesting. A good plot with a twist at the end too. I have now bought the follow up to see what happens with Goodhew's career with his boss breathing down his neck and a colleague who really doesn't like him. Good read
on 18 September 2017
I'm afraid I didn't like this book very much - it creates suspense in a rather cheap way by showing characters walking with 'a companion' (ouuhh we don't know who he/she is!) or even by letting the detective interview 'his suspect' (ouhhhh we don't know who is going to be exposed as the murderer in a minute!). Also, it changes the narrative point of view too often. And the characters remain somehow bloodless and vague. And there are too many characters who are rich enough to live on their inheritance, which makes it feel like disney world. etc. etc.
on 4 July 2017
Well written and great characters. Read the third book first which the author said was the book she wanted to write so was waiting for a poorer read. Although I still like the third better this was still a brilliant book.
on 23 August 2015
I found the characters in this book implausible .i didn't feel the novel gave any great sense of Cambridge and the plotting was poor.