Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2001
This book has certainly helped me to get less angry less often. With the help of real-life case studies, the author describes what happens when you get angry, why you may be angered by something that doesn't anger somebody else, and the difference between anger and irritability. In the second part you get a chance to put the theories into practice by keeping an anger diary and then analysing the incidents according to the trigger that makes you angry, the appraisal you make of the situation, and the beliefs behind the appraisal. After working through the case-study examples as if advising the people in them how to look at the situation differently, you get to do the same on your own incidents, which I found an enlightening, and sometimes painful, experience. I now find I get less angry if a similar incident occurs. I would thoroughly recommend this book.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2011
Do you have those moments when paragraph after paragraph all make sense, the fog clears and an explanation to your woes is laid before you. This book provided that for me and I would be surprised if any reader didn't have a similar experience.

Highly recommended.
on 22 April 2011
I loved this book and it did wonders for me. The examples are very simple and the same ones througout but with increasing layers as we progress through the book. It is vey easy to read as well. Very nice, I totally recommend it!
on 8 April 2010
I've had a latent anger problem for years and have tried other books, most notably 'Beyond Anger: A Guide For Men'. Where I think that book failed (for me) and 'Overcoming Anger and Irritability' succeeds, is in its thoroughly systematic approach. The first half of the book methodically breaks down anger into a series of stages, beginning with a trigger event. Following that comes an appraisal of the trigger, which, depending on the appraisee, can lead to anger. There are other factors affecting the appraisal: inhibitions, beliefs and mood.

I personally found this approach very helpful in developing a strategy for coping with, managing and even preventing my anger erupting in the first place. The book is full of exercises that anyone can do, such as keeping a diary. I strongly recommend that you follow the exercises and be as methodical as you can in your battle with your anger. Honestly, if this book can help me with my considerable anger, it should benefit many people.
on 24 June 2014
No good getting the kindle version, in the book, it asks you to do exercises that involve wring in the book, therefore you have to get the paperback version to do this.

There is also a tendency where a lot of the case scenarios are repeated and repeated throughout the book, which becomes boring with repetition.
on 29 May 2008
I found this an excellent source of information on anger and how to deal with it. As a trainee counsellor who is already working with clients I have used it as a framework for discussing anger problems and found the advice on how to re-appraise our habitual reactions to anger "triggers" was especially useful. I also liked the "leaky bucket" analogy, i.e. that if we don't keep topping up the bucket, the anger drains away. I would recommend the book to counsellors and self-helpers as it is very easy to read and follow. I do think the CBT approach is valuable for learning to manage what I would call "everyday" anger, but I think that there are people with "deep-seated" anger relating to wounds from their past who would need a different approach.
on 8 September 2011
I bought this book after recently realising my anger has spiralled from normal 'harmless' arguements to full blown, out of control nastiness, always blaming someone else and refusung to back down. All this was doing was making my life and unhappy one, for others in my life too. After a (not literal) slap in the fact I recognised this is not who I want to be so ordered this book. I am really beginning to understand about my anger, and the ways I can teach myself to change my behaviour so I do not have an unchangeable flaw. Since reading half of this (in a few hours) I felt so much more positive about how this will benefit my life and that I can change this about myself. I would recommend this to anyone, in fact a friend has asked to borrow this after I have finished.
on 20 March 2002
The author's tone and practical examples give you confidence that the suggested practical exercises will enable you to overcome your problem(s)successfully.
Recommended, it could change your life for the better!
on 26 February 2014
Fairly insightful and easy to listen to. Reasonably enjoyable and thankfully free of jargon. However I found it just a little too short. I feel there could have been more. It's a bit like saying, "To clean your car, use a sponge and water." Whilst true, there's more to it than that and you can't help but feel you haven't been told enough to help you get the job done properly. Will it make a difference to my life? For a day or two... but there's nothing life-changing here.
on 18 February 2015
I bought this for a friend whose young adult Grandson is struggling with anger issues. He is reading it and hopefully trying to put some of the advice into practice.

With him being dyslexic I was concerned that I needed to buy a book that was readable and understandable for him. Otherwise a lovely lad, I am hoping that he see a different way of coping with things with this book.

Yes, I would recommend this book.