Having suffered for many years from anxiety and thinking it was quite "normal" to feel that way, this book was a revelation. It is very easy to understand, it explains in a most simple way the reasons anxiety is such a problem for some people and not for others. In a step by step form it takes the reader through a process of self help and self understanding. One of the benefits is you can work at your own speed, you can work alone or enlist help from family or friends. It has passages from fellow anxiety sufferers, which makes the reader realise they are not alone with their problems. Having worked through this book and its Cognitive Behavioral approach myself, I found its contents most enlightening and it certainly helped me to work though and overcome my problems. I highly recommend this book for anyone suffering from anxiety.
0Comment| 283 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 April 2009
The content of this book is mostly focussed on anxiety in workplace situtations and is not very helpful for those that do not work. e.g. housewives, retirees, etc.

Some of the exercises are useful and could be adapted for use by others but it could potentially put off those that don't immediately see how the narrative applies to them.
on 29 September 2004
This book offers perhaps the best description of what anxiety is and how it effects us that I have ever read. It is extrememly good for gathering information on anxiety then. However, it is much less good when it comes to the techniques for actually overcoming the anxiety. For example the section on Challenging Worrying Thoughts does not list enough 'cognitive distortions'. It alludes to 'Jumping to Conclusions' without explaining it properly. The section on Distraction is not completely clear either. I am glad i read it for information, but will look elsewhere for techniques for overcoming anxiety. The worksheets are also not as convenient as those in other cognitive therapy books.
11 comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2014
Brilliant book that helped me tremendously when I thought I was going mad . It put a name to all my symptoms and explained how to overcome them .
on 9 June 2014
Having bought Overcoming Depression by Paul Gilbert, I was disappointed by this offering. There were too many case studies and repetition, overuse of the 'chest pains thinking you are having a heart attack' example. There was not much that I found useful or helpful, with most advice being very obvious.
on 28 October 2013
One of three books I downloaded in an attempt to deal with GAD. Of the three this one appears to be more user friendly although I am still learning and practising. Will need to re--evaluate at a later date when or if it works!!
on 6 April 2016
Recommended by my therapist - I've dipped into this book and picked out the parts that are particularly relevant to me. I have found it, so far, to be quite helpful although the book as a whole does seem to be somewhat aimed at a therapist rather than a patient.

Perhaps with the passage of time I might find I gain more from using the book alongside my therapy sessions, so at the moment the jury is still out on how helpful or not this book will be........
on 6 June 2008
I found this book to very helpful and useful with some excellent techniques in dealing with Anxiety. As a generalised book it will have some parts more useful or relevant than others, but this is to be expected.

It is very readable and avoids getting bogged down with too many complicated or arduous theories or practices.
on 25 July 2016
A really good book for self help with anxiety. It teaches good techniques that can be applied it work or in personal life situations. I am quite nervous, especially when I became overwhelmed of all things I can't control. I had issues suffering from insomnia due to anxiety, so wanted to get more information on how to overcome these feelings without medications. I have now improved relaxation techniques and feel much better.
on 25 July 2008
Very good at describing anxiety, but waffle when it came to dealing with anxiety; overcomplicated, time consuming and I felt inadequate to help me...