Customer reviews

on 25 July 2017
I knew most of the stuff in this book.
on 1 June 2017
A bit long winded but very useful.
on 6 November 2015
Ok
on 18 October 2013
Paul Gilbert has been able to put into words the thoughts and feelings that I have experienced when I have been depressed. It has helped me to understand the 'why' to my depression. 'Overcoming depression' has helped me to look at my thoughts, feelings and behaviour in a different light and to feel better equipped to avoid depression in the future. I pick this book up most days and read a little getting more and more familiar with the message. It has helped me and I am sure it could help others.
on 17 November 2016
THE best self-help book on depression that I have ever read, this has made a huge impact on my own depression (life-long and resistant to medication) and I really can't praise it enough.
My advice, if you are depressed or are buying it for someone else, would be to buy the Kindle edition first. I did this and read the first few chapters before realising that my very primitive Kindle couldn't show the later illustrations and diagrams well - so I bought the book. The book itself is quite a chunky doorstop - and this is my ONLY criticism of the book at all - I think someone suffering from depression would be overwhelmed by the thought of all those pages and never start reading. I know I would have been, had I bought the 'Flesh and Blood' book first, rather than had it presented page by page on Kindle! However, having read the first few chapters, I was sufficiently buoyed up and motivated to continue reading - which is, I think, a grand testament to the book's effectiveness.
I then found that the 'real' book is very useful in it's own right, for quick reference back to passages and ideas that I found particularly helpful - a Post-It note to mark the spot is easier than scrolling through the Kindle.
If you have a more sophisticated Kindle or e-reader than mine, you may not have the problem with the diagrams - but I would still recommend the electronic version first!
on 28 April 2017
A little repetitive but excellent content.
on 19 October 2006
I used this book in conjunction with a Psychologist and found it to be the truest and most practical book on dealing with depression. It is in no way airy fairy or spiritual (I have no problem with spirituality BTW) it is practical advise on how to deal with your own issues and behaviour using CBT techniques.

I strongly recommend you use this book with a counsellor or therapist. As one other reader commented it can be a little overwhelming because it is so jam-packed with advice. If you are using it alone take it very slowly, read only a few pages a night max and take it from there.

Thank-you

G.
on 17 July 2016
It may be very good, but a 624 page self help book for dealing with depression seems somewhat self defeating, and I'm pretty certain it could have been distilled into a much shorter and more approachable book.
on 7 October 2016
I'm sure this book is great but the sheer size of it means that I can't bring myself to pick it up.
on 2 December 2009
It is very good for anyone who suffers from any kind of depression, it helps you to break things down and gives you ways to self-help. It's best to read it slowly to understand. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to help themselves.