Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 October 2015
Quality item.
on 1 August 2005
I write this on behalf of my daughter because she can't.
My 12 month old daughter drags this book across the room to me to "read" several times a day. Well, I talk about the pages and make animal noises. She picks up the soft toys she owns which match each animal. In the last couple of days I think she's decided the tiger's face is a bit scary because she turns her head away. At the moment her favourite pop-up picture is the monkey swinging through the trees and she bounces up and down on my knee copying my monkey noises. She is fickle, a couple of days ago it was the elephant sneezing and before that it was the crocodile swishing his tail.
We are having lots of fun with this book but above all it is a delight to know that she is not too young to have a favourite book nor to respond to its content.
on 18 August 2005
My 18 month old has an extensive library already, but until now I havent come across a book that will keep his attention or that will make him want me to read it again and again and again.
My friend bought this for him as a gift and he loves it. Its brightly coloured, features great animals and illustrations and the pop up page at the end is his favourite bit about it.
Excellent book to start getting little ones attention.
on 31 January 2012
Got this for my 8 month old daughter and she loves it. Lovely pics of animals inside plus pop up surprise on last page gets her giggling and smiling every time we read it. A really lovely book.... She's now 9.5 months old and we read it every day before bed and her little face lights up when she sees it. A great book, simple to read with lots of lovely pics inside.
on 12 August 2001
This is a wonderful story. I work in a nursery, and this is a well loved story by all ages from 0-4 years. The story follows a ladybird who wants to sleep somewhere else, but can't fly (as she sleeps all day and night). She decides to move by jumping on different animals, but cannot get comfortable, until she lands on an elephants trunk, and is forced to fly as he sneezes. It takes you through exceptionally coloured and bright scenes, and funny repetitive verses. The children have an active part in the story and thoroughly enjoy it time and time again. Definitley recommended!
on 7 February 2012
[...]

This is a very popular book in our house. It's well written and we love the illustrations. But the most exciting thing is... the sound effects! They are just fabulous! Even my (much) older boys hover around when this book is being read and have each taken the time to read it to the younger ones before. I'm convinced it's because 'they' want to press the buttons!

The lazy ladybird just wants to sleep and is so lazy that she doesn't know how to fly and so she hops on to various animals in order to find somewhere else to sleep. Each animal does something that means she can't sleep and therefore has to move on to another until, at last, she has no choice but to fly.

Each page is beautifully illustrated. The pictures are bright and colourful and each animal is drawn to look friendly and smiley. On each page there is a 'button' to press to hear the sound that accompanies each animal. We have read books similar to this and have found it most frustrating to be pressing the page in earnest trying to elicit a sound and not having much success. This book has been well put together however (and I mean that in the literal physical sense) as each sound works and works well without having to press over and over again. My pre-schooler has to apply a little more pressure with his tinier fingers but is fairly easily able to make the sounds work by himself too, which gives him a lot of pleasure. The sounds are loud enough and clear and fun. They make us giggle. The last sound, when ladybird has run out of choices is really fun and gets the most 'airtime' for sure!

A very lovely read, with great pictures and fabulous sounds. It's one that my husband and I both love reading to our two little boys (almost 3 and 15 months) and it gets extra marks for drawing in my older boys (11 and almost 14) to read to their younger brothers without being asked!

Verdict: One for every pre-schooler's bookshelf. There are other 'noisy picture books' in the series and we shall certainly be adding to the one we already have!
on 20 March 2006
I came across this book when it was read to a large group of children at the local library at 'storytime'. I rushed home and ordered it, it's great!
on 15 March 2001
What a delightful story for toddlers. Beautifully illustrated, fast-moving, lots of animals to be named and imitated, and at the centre of it all, the famously lazy ladybird of the title, simply looking for somewhere comfortable for a nap, but too lazy to fly anywhere....
My 2 year old daughter and I have enjoyed the story enormously, and equally. There's lots to 'do' in the book - monkeys swinging, crocodiles swishing, tortoises snoozing and kangaroos hopping. Each page has its own little cliff-hanger leading up to the tremendously exciting finale. Sublime.
A joy to read aloud; apparently a joy to have read to you. Buy it now for your own ankle-biter, or someone else's. Buy it for yourself, even and be reminded of the simple joys that pre-school children's books can bring, and of the pretty pictures that they paint of the world.
on 8 April 2016
I purchased this secondhand, in the spirit of recycling. My granddaughter loves this series-especially fascinated by the big red deer in the first book I bought. This copy was less than usually pristine-a few pages will require sellotape. I have to say this is unusual, but I am not complaining. It IS a pop-up book, so, fragile, and I did pay pence for it.
on 20 July 2009
My daughter was given this as a present when she was 18 months old. We had to read it every night for months. She loved reading about all the different animals and then the final page with the elephant. I have since bought it for other friends children. Would highly recommend it.