Customer reviews

1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen Series)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 June 2017
The claustrophobic setting of a Norwegian snow bound, mountain hotel sounded good when I read the synopsis of this book. It ultimately, proved to be the most irritating part of this book for me.

Hanne is an interesting character, left paralysed after a case went wrong, this ex police officer is at the heart of a large group of people stranded by a rail accident in the mountains of Norway.

The stranded guests begin to die and this wheelchair bound woman has to investigate, while a storm continues to keep them pinned down and isolated from the rest of the World. Added to this is the mystery of the additional rail coach attached to their train - where are the people who were travelling in that coach?

There are whole pages of descriptions of the isolation, sense of frustration and sheer logistics of nearly 200 people being trapped together in a damp, sometimes cold, snowy wilderness. For me, this proved to be limiting and the characters were slightly irritating, not interesting.

By the end, I only kept reading so that I could understand in greater detail, why on Earth, the murderer had bothered getting on the train to gain revenge for a past wrong. Surely, they could have found better opportunities to kill the first victim, the second seemed to be collateral damage.

Even at the end, the denouement was cliched, hurried and disjointed. Has this book created a thirst to read the previous Hanne Wilhelmson books? The swift answer is - No.
on 27 June 2017
... and the characters are almost all unlikable. Ms Holt, we need people to root for, people to worry about, a tantalising mystery to solve - otherwise, who cares? The author fails to create a sufficient sense of the situation and its danger. Also, there are lots of vague characters in the background (girls team, church commission). I could go on. I'm not sure why I read to the end, but looking back, I realise I was wasting hours of my life. Agatha Christie knew how to do this kind of thing.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2017
I expected a lot more of Anne Holt. The pace was very slow and the characters lacked conviction. I'm not sure whether the fault is in the writing of the translation but it was hard work to get through the book and it left no feeling of satisfaction.
on 4 July 2017
Easy read for any journey tho not a train through the mountains. Good characters and plot with beautifully described locations.
on 11 August 2017
1222 metres above sea level, a train goes of the rails in a dreadful snowstorm. The passengers have to all check into a mountain hotel nearby. A passenger is then found later murdered. I have seen 1222 on many lists of great nordic reads, however I was very disappointed. I became very bored.
I read around 100 pages and then laughed it off. Who knows, maybe it would offer a good ending, but I felt the writer was dragging the story along so slowly that you really dont care about anyone in the book. I would not buy this. Stick Nesser, Sjowall & Wahloo, and Lackberg in this genre
on 22 June 2017
Far fetched plot, and a very long way short of the usual books by this author. I thought the characters were weak and lacking in credibility. Hanne Wilhelmsen didn't seem like Hanne Wilhelmson. If someone told me this book had a different author I would be inclined to believe them!

I'm now going to read the next in the series with some trepidation!
on 16 July 2017
I really didn't enjoy this book at all. Found it hard to get into. Not sure if its because it was translated from Norwegian into English? Either way not a fan I'm afraid. Some parts were hard to follow and understand like a page was missing or something. Odd
VINE VOICEon 11 January 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Train crash survivors decamp to a swish hotel in the Norwegian mountains to await rescue, but euphoria at their good fortune soon gives way to fear and panic as they realise there's a murderer in their midst, and no chance of escape due to the (snow) storm of the century raging about them.

I had high hopes for this book, with its tempting plot and beautiful cover art, but was disappointed by a number of aspects. Firstly, the characters seemed a rather contrived attempt to challenge prejudices and preconceptions - the 'heroine' of the hour is a bad-tempered wheelchair-bound lesbian detective, the doctor tending the wounded, a midget, and all the furtive-looking muslims actually 'goodies'. Secondly, the fact that so many of the passengers knew each other from past lives seemed to stretch credibility - even in a country like Norway with a relatively small population. Thirdly, there were a lot of references to dreary-sounding governmental departments that didn't exactly set the book alight. Fourthly, there was never any build-up of tension, which given the claustrophobic surroundings of the no-access-by-road hotel should have been a relatively easy task for the author. Fifthly (is that a word?) the crime was solved in a fairly feeble fashion, with a telephone call to check up on a potential suspect, providing a very anti-climactic finish. Lead character, Hanne, persuading the police to let her reveal the culprit, Hercule Poirot style, before the entire assembled 'cast' was really the final straw for me.

Started well, but just fizzled out.
on 15 July 2017
So I can see from the ratings its not just me. The publication of this book in the UK led to the relaunch of the Hanne W series. So I was expecting something good given Ive read and really enjoyed the seven in the series prior to it. However this is a disappointment, by far the worst. Plodding with main charater completely changed. Good thing it was not the 1st one. Ill give the Vik/Stubo a go though.
on 24 September 2017
This was the book I heard recommend to read that made me start the first in the series and then read them all in order. Probably the best of the whole series, not bad for the eighth outing of the main character, although she's still as deeply flawed and unlikable as ever, and I guess that this is her last appearance?