Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 August 2013
Persevere with the simplistic language of the protagonists and you are rewarded with a gripping story about the human condition and the strength and sacrifice required for leadership and fellowship. The author's skill and achievement is all the greater for gradually revealing the characters and the world they inhabit so beautifully despite the limited vocabulary. I found it hard to put this book down and was truly sorry to reach the end.
on 28 August 2014
I wasn't expecting to love this book as much as I did. I was enthralled from the first page to the last . It encompasses so much of human nature, our strengths and weaknesses and our striving for something out of reach . A story about the start of a new human civilisation on a distant planet, with no sun but a starry swirl above, where the living things themselves make the light . Can't imagine why anyone wouldn't enjoy this book .
on 21 August 2012
I really enjoyed this book. Chris Beckett transports the reader to the dark world of Eden where he explores the beginnings of a civilization. I especially enjoyed the way Beckett looked at 'truth' and the creation and value of mythology and stories. I would love to see a film of Dark Eden - it would be a spectacular, visual feast. I was really pleased to discover that Beckett is working on a sequel which I will definitely read.
on 27 June 2013
Big fan of the worldbuilding; the meticulous attention to the physics and biology of the planet on which the action takes place; the darkness of the concept and the atmosphere of the story; the flawed nature of the characters, and the fact it doesn't in any way opt for a Hollywood ending. Lord of the Flies for the modern era, with a lot of twists. I hope this is studied in secondary school literature classes in years to come!
on 16 December 2014
The drama is so very human. The world and the concept is certainly attention grabbing, and cause for some excellent world building description - but it isn't why this book is so good. Nor is the interesting cast-away feel, nor the religious metaphor. Great back-story though they all are, the book stands tall because of the characters and their flawed humanity. Finishing this book was like saying goodbye to a good friend.
on 2 October 2014
I found this book to be inventive and worth a read for those who like to escape to a place where they can imagine how things might have been had we ever reached a habitable planet and then not been able to return. Legend is passed on through generations and becomes distorted and hopes stifle progress. Always someone has ideas. Always someone 'rocks the boat'. It is progress. It will not be denied. Good book.
on 16 April 2016
This is a book set on an alien world with alien creatures vividly described, but primarily, like all good sci-fi, it is about the human condition: what makes us act the way we do; how we respond to fear; how society evolves - or regresses. It is particularly relevant today as we face a changing environment that threatens our future. Or rather, as many of us refuse to face the challenge.
on 31 January 2014
This was a strange book to get into with the unusual language but after a few chapters I was engrossed and wanted to know what happened next. An adventure story situated in an alien world. The author is an excellent storyteller and this was so different from anything I have read recently. Reminded me of Ray Bradbury and the sci fi books I read as a teenager in the 1970s. Worth buying.
on 24 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's well paced with nicely constructed characters and has an interesting setting. There are a few things along the way that don't quite hold up to scrutiny, but overall the book sticks properly to its constructs. It's in no way a challenging read (linguistically) and definitely the kind of book you can easily plough through. Definitely recommended.
on 14 September 2013
I did enjoy reading this and wanted to find out more about the main people in the book. At certain places i found it a little repetitive and the ending seemed rushed to me.
It was well written but i never got the feeling of the characters across from what was written.
Still an enjoyable read that was thought provoking and I'm glad i have read it. 3 and a half stars