Customer reviews

Paradoxical Undressing
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 February 2011
Bought this book in a kindle format, so no comments from me on inappropriate cover image, but FIY there's an annoying number of i's and r's missing from words in it.

I didn't know anything about Kristin Hersh before I got this book, I just saw a brief review in a newspaper about it and it stuck in my head, so I got it before I went on a weekend getaway.

It's superbly well written, difficult to put down and is basically the kind of book you find yourself reading in the middle of the night trying not to wake anyone with your laughter. It's not always about funny things, but Kristin's take on the events in her life can be hilarious. Intermittently you find bits of song lyrics and a sort of little stories that describe how she's feeling at the time.

Since reading it, I got Throwing Muses' first album, which is lovely. Hasn't converted me into a die hard fan, but certainly has given me an entrance point into their music.

Highly recommended.
on 4 May 2011
Feeling priviledged today to blast along the coast road with Throwing Muses' first album playing, having been let into the sweat, graft, fear and joy that made those songs. For those of us who have had Kristin and the Muses' music in our lives for the past 25 years, Paradoxical Undressing is a companion piece, a revelation. And it's funny...
on 3 March 2014
Kristin Hersh's memoire "Paradoxical Undressing" is one of the best books I've ever read. Recommended to anyone who likes Throwing Muses, Hersh's solo work or 50 Foot Wave, or music generally, or if you're in a band, or if you have ever suffered from depression or are bipolar, if you are a woman, or a man, or are in anyway human, or if you just like to read. Basically, everyone should read this book.
on 9 May 2011
This book is based on songwriter Hersh's diary from the late 1980s yet it reads like a novel. Having appreciated Hersh's music for over twenty years, I could be a bit biased but I have found this a riveting read. This story is better than any work of fiction from plaudit-strewn authors I have read in many a year and Hersh's genius remains woefully overlooked.
on 29 January 2011
You probably already know but if you don't this is the same text as Rat Girl with a groovy hardcover and some cool art. Buy this for preference I guess. Wish I knew this was available before buying the softback. A wonderful, enchanting and often funny read in any format. Shame I'm probably preaching to the converted.

If you're undecided and think it sounds interesting I urge you to take a chance and plunge in.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 May 2015
My only complaint is that it didn't last longer.

Anyone who is a fan of Kristin's will want to read this, it's a fascinating insight into a snippet of her life (about a year), it explains some of the music a bit better, especially the sometimes painful process of how it comes to be.
on 24 February 2014
An absolutely beautiful and detailed description to a very important part of Kristin's life. Her songs are little stories and this book makes them come alive. If you've never heard Kristin sing before, this book will make you want to.
on 30 August 2016
Interesting. Took a while to get used to the American language but once I did, started to enjoy Kristin's story. Made me quite reflective and forgiving of our human condition.
on 26 November 2013
Scary, fierce, funny, moving, and all points in between. Genuinely inspiring book from a genuinely inspiring woman. She defied the music business and came out stronger!
on 27 December 2012
This book was given as a present and the recipient loved the quirky humour and style of writing given that both author and reader are bipolar