on 22 March 2013
What an excellent book and such an interesting well told account of Vince Cable's life and career. I was absorbed by this book and it is one of the very best of its kind that I have read (and I have read lots). I recommend it to anyone with an interest in politics no matter what party you support or none.
on 3 April 2013
I so enjoyed the eloquence of the use of the English language. His succinct paragraph about a school friend was a joy!

I cannot remember reading anything of such quality and such a high standard ever! Churchill eat your heart out. This politician is a master of writing!

His politics were not my reason for reading this ,but his calm common sense on the news when the rest of parliament (and the rest of us are outraged ) made me curious. I am now a committed devotee to this man's writing and hope there is more to come for many years yet.
on 11 April 2011
I'm not too sure what I expected from this book. I knew it was an autobiography, but before I read it I think I was expecting a different balance between the formative and active (?) parts of this book.

For the uninitiated, Vince Cable was the British politician who can most claim to being one of the first (if not the first) politician to see the banking and housing collapse coming. This probably come from the fact that, unlike many of his colleagues, he didn't enter Parliamnet fresh out of University, but had to work as an economist before finally gaining a seat.

The book is interesting, but as I said I'm not too sure about it. It's short and he doesn't miss anything out, but he's a member of a party that hasn't achieved a great deal till recently (and their most recent successes aren't covered here), so what's he really go to talk about?

His life is interesting in that he's got such a wide variety of interests (gained for broad travels overseas for the UN and Shell), but those of you who want more of an idea of the machinations of party politics should probably look elsewhere. Cable was once described to me as the "best Chancellor we'll never have" by a fellow Lib Dem, but he isn't the sort to give us the low down on salacious backroom deals.
on 15 April 2013
I loved this biography. What an interesting & full life Vince Cable has led - so varied & far travelled. He has so much more to offer in skills & life experiences than most of the career politicians. His family life sounded so rounded & happy & yet so tragic. If you are interested in our present day politics you must buy this book and if you are not interested in politics but would like to read about a life well spent then read this book.
on 1 March 2013
This is a very well written account of the professional life of this great politician. Oh! If all of the population of the Westminster village were like him we wouldn't be in the mess we are currently in. Definitely worth a read.
on 6 March 2013
I usually don't read biographies of living politicians. I'm glad I read this one. There is rather a lot of 'name dropping' in the book but that possibly is necessary given the nature of the life. I liked the candidness that seemed to be evident and the fact that the book is primarily written for Cables' cosmopolitan family and friends. I believe this adds charm and sincerety to it.

I would reccommend it to others.
on 4 February 2010
An extremely good insight to why we should have politicians who have experienced life as a businessman rather than hiding behind the cloak of being "Professional Politiciana"
on 22 March 2013
I bought this on a 99p offer, and only because it was on promotion. I quite like Vince Cable - as much as one can like a politician. I quite like the fact that it's sitting there on my Kindle, waiting to be read. It might be quite interesting, but, on the other hand, it might not be. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will wait and wait and wait ... until one day, I will have forgotten who Vince Cable was and will delete the book unread. Does that make me a bad person?

I think the book is aimed at well-meaning, mildly interested people, like me, who will always find something else, apparently more interesting, to read in preference.
on 23 June 2013
If you are interested in politics this is a good read. Getting an insight into where Vince comes from and what he has done during his life helps you understand how he makes decisions.
on 19 April 2015
A fascinating insight into what has shaped the person Vince Cable is today. Honest and witty, I find myself liking the man who had previously been a rather unfathomable character.