Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 24 November 2012
Any book that helps you break down a brick wall in your family tree must come highly recommended! I bought this after the glowing review in BBC's Who Do You Think You Are magazine because I've been stuck for ages trying to find a ship's steward and this book gave me my breakthrough. I didn't appreciate how much information there is online that you don't find by just doing a `Google' search. This book shows you which specific websites to search and what they will tell you. I also didn't realise how easy it is to find out about the various ships that my ancestor served on and I've started to discover what many of the ships looked like and so on which has added an interesting extra dimension.
on 9 November 2012
This is a practical sort of book with lots of useful web resources identified - most of which I'd never heard of before - and ideas on where else to look. It's all laid out in chapters depending on whether you're trying to find a captain, a seaman, a shipwreck, trace a wartime career etc. There's a particularly good chapter on seamen's medals that I've found helpful, and another on finding out about your ancestor's ships. This book basically shows you what's available and how to go about your research, and it's a lot cheaper than hiring a professional genealogist!
on 18 December 2012
This is a great little book to help you find your way through the maze of information out there. It is well written and helpful in the way it is set out and gives you great practical advice about tracing your ancestors. The sections are full of information and links to a myriad of different sites.The case histories are great to read and the whole book is full of descriptive and fascinating facts. All in all a lovely little book on a big subject.
on 7 December 2012
An excellent well-written guide to help research my Merchant Navy ancestors. The book is laid out in an extremely practical way signposting lots of useful resources to help me further! I would highly recommend this book. It's easy to read, interesting and descriptive. I particularly enjoyed the case histories at the end of the book which show the author's logical approach to forming a picture of an ancestor's career or ship.
on 27 December 2012
Simon Wills has managed to pack in a wealth of information about the history and background to this subject for family historians as well as for the general reader. I found the good coverage of the sources available in libraries and archives and via the Internet very helpful indeed. I now have lots of new ideas for research and thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Highly recommended!
on 14 August 2013
My stepfather read this book and really enjoyed it. Both practically and factual. I brought this book him to enjoy and when I retire I will read it more thoroughly as believe it will help me a great deal to research my fathers family history as they were all in the merchant navy. Well done Simon really good.
on 7 June 2014
Some good tips on finding your records on your seafaring ancestors. From census info knowing where he lived to now having his service no and description of him down to his tattoo I also know s o me of t h e places he travelled to. So this book for me is excellent.
on 28 October 2012
This book is a concise but admirable guide to those wishing to research their forebears associated with the Merchant Service. It is a comprehensive 'aide memoire' for those who are not new to this subject, but it also offered me many new avenues to explore even though I have already done quite a lot of family research before. Recommendations given in the book are straightforward and helpfully descriptive of where to go and where to look. It will be of great interest to those interested in our maritime ancestors, and the author shows commendable clarity which makes the book highly readable.
on 20 January 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first few chapters provided a fascinating insight into life at sea with interesting anecdotes and facts which will be remembered. The book is clearly set out and enables the reader to dip into relevant chapters although the readability of the book means it is very likely to be read through entirely. The initial chapters provide a foundation which then makes the actual searching for ancestors even more enjoyable. This book has widespread appeal as well as being a great practical guide.
on 6 January 2013
This book has opened up many new avenues of research for my merchant navy ancestors and includes links to important sources both online and offline. It thoroughly describes what information is available in which archive, enabling me to plan further research.

Thoroughly recommended.