Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 September 2013
I bought this because I'm a huge fan of the television series, Tenko, and now on my third or fourth time of watching it I'm still overwhelmed by their portrayal of the horror of it all. This book has made me shudder! The real Tenko was twice as bad as the television series suggested. Dear God, sometimes it made me wonder how these poor women ever survived, and it doesn't surprise me that the bitterness has gone on for so long.
As it happens one of my closest friends is Japanese; she wasn't born until just after the war, like me, but she's not afraid to talk about it if I ask her questions. All I can say is that the Japanese, as a people, are very, very different now ... it is frightening what indoctrination can do to a race, especially, as she regularly tells me, military indoctrination.
on 29 May 2014
I found this book rather tedious, to be honest. It is not very well written, and comes across more as a list of atrocities than as an investigative and objective report. That said, there's no denying the shocking scale of the crimes committed in the name of the Emperor. The book does hammer home the fact that these crimes were taking place throughout the Japanese gulag network, and so must have been the product of deliberate policy from Tokyo (and, by extension, Hirohito himself). If, like me, you get irritated by books that aren't written very well you'll probably want to give this one a miss. However, if you're especially interested in this part of history it's worth giving it a go.
on 5 February 2015
Superb!
Read Narrow road to the deep North last week. Decided to read a little more about this subject. Chose this and am not disappointed. Couldn't put it down.
Terribly moving and though provoking. Read it.
on 14 July 2014
really good book,very interesting
on 9 June 2014
Great read a book you can read over and over and I enjoy true stories happy with item a good night time read
on 15 December 2015
Having spent 4 years in Japanese concentration camps on Java, this bookdescribes the horror as it was.
on 4 October 2014