Customer reviews

on 18 May 2017
Such a great book for kids! Five of the pages, when opened, produce really lovely bird noises, in different settings, such as Australia and the rainforest. These 'noisy' pages also have lovely pop-ups, which really bring the book to life (though be aware, they are delicate, so you might want to keep an eye on your kids in case they get the urge to pull at them!)
In between each 'noisy' page, there's lots of interesting information about each of the birds featured, which makes it good for any older readers. Very impressive book indeed, would make a lovely present.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2011
Hours of fun for the grandchildren and a great way to introduce them to ways of identifying, separating and synthesising that wonderful world of nature out there. For video generations, it reminds them they have ears and can lead them on fascinating quests for wildlife.
Not the most robust and requiring protection from enthusiastic page grabbers (just an observation and not a criticism), it makes fun reading and listening.
on 4 June 2012
My 10 month daughter loves birds so when I saw this "board book" on birds I thought this would be lovely for her. And it will be, if she still loves birds in a few years, she is going to love this book. However, if I gave it to her now, it would be destroyed in no time.

The book has various 3D scenes of birds grouped roughly according to where they live i.e garden, desert, water. These scenes are beautifully illustrated, made even more awesome by the 3 D aspect! But the scenes are made of thin card so would not require too much grabbing for birds to be removed from the scene. The birds included range from our robin in the garden birds to more exotic species in the jungle scene. When turning the page to these scenes the page erupted into birdsong appropriate to the birds included on that page. Our cats went mad looking for the birds in our living room!

The page after each 3D scene is a description of all the birds featured in the previous page and a little information on these birds. If my daughter takes after her mummy she will love learning about these birds when she is older.

The battery appears to be replaceable so I do not need worry about having sneak previews of birdsong until my daughter is old enough to fully appreciate this book.
So in conclusion, a beautiful book that I fully anticipate will be very popular with my little one, but would not last long with my daughter at her current age!
on 13 January 2012
This is an absolutely delightful book which I bought for my girls.The information on the birds is just right, not too detailed but all the basics and the sounds are amazing. My 3yr old just loves opening it to listen to the sounds alone.Beautiful 3d images, good value for money.
on 17 August 2010
There are 6 in the series by Maurice Pledger all fantastic.
Not for the very young or the 'page tearers' but wonderfully constructed 'pop up' nature plus realistic noises
Every house with youngish (2- 6 yrs) children should have the set.
on 7 June 2011
Our 11 month old loves this book: turning the pages, listening to the birdsong, pointing at the different birds. The illustrations are lovely and the sounds are realistic. Admittedly a few beaks have had to be sellotaped back on but I'm so glad we didn't wait until he was "old enough" for this book.

It is one of his favourite soothing books - if he is fretful it often calms him immediately.

I'm learning quite a bit about birds too from the notes!
on 29 April 2015
Great book. We were given this as a gift for our baby daughter. From a couple of months old she has been mesmerised by it, and became the toy which kept her attention longest. It obviously isnt intended for babies but showing her the pop ups with the noises delights her. Have just ordered the safari one and will hopefully help to teach her about sights and sounds of other animals, elephants etc.
on 21 October 2016
This is such a wonderful book! Both my 2.5 year old son and I love it. It's literally bursting with beautiful, realistic birds complemented by the sounds on each pop up page. With the 'key', detailing the names of each bird and some interesting facts about them too, it also provides a fun opportunity for learning. I highly recommend this book. We have bought most of the series now!
on 29 March 2013
This is a truly enchanting book, that my daughter has loved since she was about one, great sounds and still enjoyed and educating now she's 4. Bought this one as present for a new baby.
on 9 June 2014
would have got five but one of the pages no bird song. The pop up birds are beautiful, just wish I could have got a perfect copy this was the closest after ordering 3 copies