Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 October 2015
My class read ‘The Pirates Next Door’ and really enjoyed it so wrote their own reviews and wanted to share them with you. Well done Trust Class!

The book is about a boy and his pirate family. Some pirates move to Dull-On-Sea, next door to a girl called Matilda. The girl thinks it is great that some pirates have moved next door and says to Jim-Lad, ‘you’re cool!’. But the pirates get up to mischief and start doing naughty things. The people of Dull-On-Sea wanted them to go away so they phoned up the council.

One of our favourite characters was Nugget; “My favourite character is Nugget because she is really, really cheeky, rude and funny and she is learning to fire cannon balls”.

You should read this book because if you read the blurb it sounds exciting and the name sounds really cool and the pictures look cool and they are a crazy family.
The book is about a super family and the pages are detailed with writing and the pages are colourful.

So those are some of the opinions of my class and I can back them up. A fantastic picture book that children love!
Lovely story with great illustrations. Ideal for any child who is into pirates.
on 11 September 2016
My girls love all these books, well written and just scary/ dramatic enough. Beautifully illustrated, me and my husband have enjoyed reading them at bedtime too.
on 8 March 2017
Great
on 11 April 2017
Great book for girls and boys great illustrations
on 20 March 2017
Great.
on 22 February 2017
I was looking for Pirate books for my pirate obsessed 2 year old.
Won't be reading this one to him for now, it seems nice, nice illustrations and storyline looks interesting (I have not read the whole thing though) but it is just far too long for a toddler with short attention span.
Maybe when he is 3 (and hopefully he will still like pirates by then)
on 12 March 2017
Great book, shame the packaging resulted in it arriving bent
on 30 October 2011
My nearly 5 year old girl loves this, and my 2 1/2 year old son insists there's a little girl called Nugget in his class at school (he doesn't go yet). We are a house of pirate fans, and this is the best of all the pirate books we've bought so far.

We've had this 24 hours and I think I've read it more than ten times already. The fab poster cover from the hardback is on daughter's door and both children stand staring in awe at all the piratey detail.

I love all the hidden pirate clues and details hidden in the fantastic illustrations. There are barrels of grog, and it actaully makes reference to how grandpa pirate came to have a hook instead of a hand: much better than the saccharine sanitised pirates you often get. This really works on so many levels, and I won't be hiding this one in the book box to avoid reading it again, as has happened with other less lovely books.

I'd definitely recommend this. Pirate mum could even become my fashion icon.
on 29 August 2015
I love this book. The illustrations are amazing! But what is also surprising is the story from this author/illustrator is also amazing. It works on two levels. On one hand there are the pirates and the fun of them coming ashore for the kids which is all hilarious and with beautifully written rhyme. But it also works on another level for the parents, where the pirate discrimination is a fabulous analogy for discrimination against other groups in our current society. It is a really good way to discuss the subject with your kids.

All the characters are so strong in looks and personality. The language they use really brings them to life. I find myself easily slipping in to "pirate" or "busy body" (the latter comes a little too easily). My four year old daughter likes this book a lot and has done since she was three. I think it suits girls and boys and three or four would be the approximate starting age. I would definitely recommend.