Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 August 2017
I'm afraid the condition of the book was a bit on the rough side. The cover had been roughly folded and creased in several places, one of the pages had been really torn and repaired (badly) with tape and the pull out page was torn....but hey ho, my grandson enjoyed the tale...as dark as it was..chuckle.
on 12 June 2017
Love these books but wasn't expecting it to be so small and therefore text very small which isnt terribly helpful for young children learning to read.
on 3 March 2017
Great book for world book day. My son was a pirate and he loved sharing this story. Great value and beautiful book. Fantastic seller.
on 26 July 2017
Great fun for the classroom
on 19 July 2017
good item
on 11 August 2017
One of our favourite stories often repeated
on 6 April 2013
I bought this book for part of my four year olds birthday. I liked the art work and details so not having much time left I bought it hoping for the best. My daughter loved it from the first reading. And each reading we notice something new. The art work is incredibly detailed and packed with themes and clues. The mystery seaman sings a shanty to the tune of loca (you tube), and the ending is spectacular with fold out page! Utterly loved by her! Each little nick in the pages is a disaster! Sticky tape must be found and repaired immediately. This book is brilliant on so many levels, visually, morally, comically, and seems to grow with your wee one as they "get" bits as they get older! My wee one got what thought bubbles were, what puppets were, what greed was, etc at different times in the re reading. Utterly brilliant
on 18 July 2011
The Pirate-Cruncher was immediately appealing with its bright, enjoyable cover.

The pages were wonderfully illustrated with plenty to look at - not sparse, single drawings that can be found in other children's books. The actual story was wrought with adventure that is sure to please many. I thought the rhyming language throughout was brilliantly written, making the story more exciting and accessible for children. Hidden meanings were a pleasure to discover - lessons learned in a way that doesn't make it feel forced or condescending.

A perfect companion for the book was the audio CD. This was wonderful to listen to; either on its own or while you turn the pages of the book. Narrated by the author, Duddle enchants his listeners with fun, swashbuckling voices, (a different one for each character - very enjoyable!) squawking parrots and singing fiddler's. A bell helpfully sounds, letting the reader know when to turn the page. The accompanying music also deserves a mention as it places you on the deck of the pirate ship!

What is sure to become a household name, Jonny Duddle hits the mark with The Pirate-Cruncher and I look forward to more by him. It was a fun, exciting read that kept my three year old very entertained! An absolute delight.
on 10 May 2017
I hate to spoil it for you, but they all die! It looks great for slightly older kids but I wish I'd read it before I started looking through it with my little man. I naively assumed from the board book format that it would be aimed at tiny tots.
on 18 October 2012
My three and half years old LOVES this book. What a gem! Great text, colourful and detailed artwork with a lot to spot on every page. A pure delight. I am glad that I have found an alternative to Julia Donadson and Oliver Jeffers. I highly recommend this picture book for little boys who likes pirates and sea monster. Octonauts fans will also like this book as the sea monster is an Octonauts favourite.