Customer reviews

Forgive My Fins
Format: Paperback|Change

Wow, this book is just so amazing and i just spent the whole evening finishing it. In honesty, i was having a bit of a book downer recently, and the last couple i've tried to read have failed to catch my attention.
However, on a whim late last night, i downloaded Forgive My Fins to my Kindle and i am so glad i did.

Ok, so the writing style is full of Ocean related humour and there are some truly cringe worthy moments, but isn't that what being a teen in love is like?
The only difference is that Lily is a mermaid and in a case of mistaken identity accidentally kisses the annoying boy next door instead of the guy she's crushing on from the swim team.

Yes, i know this all sounds a little cliche, but there is a lot more depth to this book that you'll initially realise (No pun intended!) If i'm honest, i really loved Quince from the beginning, he was such an original character and so wonderfully charming and patient.
The lessons that he and Lily learn through there 'mistake' are pretty big and the outcome was fantastic.
The chemistry between them was like electricity and i couldn't help but get a bit frustrated with Lily for how blind she was for most of the novel.
But then that's something we probably all experience at some time and by becoming in love with an idea we essentially become blinded to the 'real thing'.

I found the relationship between Lily and her father to be unique as well. It's all to easy in fiction these days for someone to use the 'Duty before heart' storyline, and it made a change to have a King that was a bit more heartfelt as opposed to cold and dutiful. And the fact she called him daddy was sweet as opposed to annoying as it might have been.

My favourite part though? it was the witty dialogue between Lily and Quince, especially that part in the bathroom stall. Just hilarious. And to top it all off, a lesson in love that even adults can learn from if they put their minds to it!
on 26 December 2017
I chose to read Forgive My Fins after reading the Darkly Fae series, and Myths and Mistletoe. I absolutely loved this book, Tera had me hooked from start to finish. The clever use of sea themed language gave this book a fun edge too, making it all the more brilliant to read. I can wait to read the rest of the series.
on 3 September 2013
I enjoyed this book a lot bit disappointed with the end if I'm honest and I'm not that interested in doe as a characterized she's in book two more I want more love story, but all in all a good read x
on 13 October 2014
great read!
on 27 May 2014
my daughter who isn't always an avid reader couldn't put it down - she loved it and can't wait for the next in the series
on 13 August 2013
Overall the book was good but I won't be getting the squeal. I think one book is enough for me.
on 27 January 2016
From the beginning I had heard nothing but good things about ‘Forgive my fins’ and was glad that it turned out to be such a fun and light hearted read. With a really sweet storyline and cute romance, I flew through this book very quickly and at the end I was just left going, ‘Awwww’. It really is a lovely story.

Despite being half-mermaid, the main character, Lily Sanderson is in many ways a typical teenager. Her words and antics made me squee, cringe and quite often laugh out loud. I especially loved her fishy analogies and cuss words of ‘Damselfish’, ‘Blowfish’ and my personal favourite, ‘oh lord love a lobster’. However, she is also a very timid girl and a hopeless romantic.

For the last three years she has been crushing on Brody Bennett, the gorgeous (newly single) captain of the swim team. Yet despite her best efforts, she has never managed to tell him how she feels, although Lily is certain they are destined for one another. So with the spring dance looming – Lily conspires that this will be the night she confesses her love. What she doesn’t expect, is for her annoying next door neighbour Quince, to interfere with her plans. Therefore, after an accidental kiss, Lily finds herself bonded (essentially married) not to the man of her dreams, but to bad boy ‘blowfish’ Quince, who incidentally, can’t swim. A much needed when dating a mermaid.

In the chaos that follows, the author Tera Lynn Childs gives us one of the most adorable and sweetest of paranormal romances. Telling a story of first love, friendship and the need to be true to yourself , with plenty of comedy rolled into the mix, ‘Forgive my Fins’ is a fantastic read.

Although at times Lily could be a little annoying in her unchangeable views about Brody, and I thought that there were a few small plot issues – the goodness of this book ultimately outweighed the few niggles that I had with it. So overall it was a really fun read and I’m eagerly awaiting the sequel, ‘Fins are Forever’ which is to be published in the UK on the 1st April 2012. Check it out J
on 14 April 2011
If you are looking for something new, fresh and beautifully written then this is the book for you.

Forgive my Fins is the first book in the new Fins series by author Tera Lynn Childs and I have to say - it was FANATASTIC :)

Lily is a princess mermaid and has been living with her aunt in Seaview for the past 3 years. She moved in with her aunt after discovering that her mother was human and wanted to see the human world before becoming the next ruler of Thalassinia. Lily has been in love with Brody, a boy from school ever since she started there, but the only problem is, she can't seem to find a way to tell Brody how she feels.

When Quince, Lily's annoying neighbour who always picks on her, offers to help her catch the guy of her dreams, she reluctantly agrees. On the night of the school dance, Lily's plan of action is in place and while waiting for Brody, she mistakingly kisses Quince and ends up forming a bond caused by Lily's mermaid destiny. Lily believes being bound to Quince is the worse thing possible or is it?

This was my first book by Tera and I was not left disappointd. As usual, I wish I had picked this up sooner than I did. I have read a few mermaid stories over the past year but, this is the only one I have loved. Tera did a fantastic job as it was beautifully written and I loved how I could imagine myself in Thalassinia.

I really enjoyed the characters especially Lily. Lily only being seventeen is quiet naive about her feelings toward Brody and it sometimes clouds her judgement, not only does she not see Brody for who he really is, but see also doesn't see Quince. Quince is a classic guy, picks on the girl he loves type but once you get to know him, it was just his way of getting closer to Lily and I loved both of them.

I'm so glad there wasn't any major cliffhangers to this story. Yes, the author has left the story open with a little preview of what I believe the next story will be about but I love that the Lily & Quince's story was rounded up.

Overall, this was a fanstatic new start to a unquie series. I'm hoping the release of the next book comes around quickly as I can not wait to read more :)

P.S I LOVED the fish slang too - So funny :)
2 people found this helpful
on 22 November 2012
This was a delightfully cute book that warmed my heart. At the beginning I was convinced that if was younger than YA as it seemed so innocent in nature, but as the book progressed it filled it's YA shoes. Although I am still convinced that the tweenie age bracket will be yearning for this one too.
This is one of the best mermaid books I have read so far within the mermaid genre, and believe me, lately there have been a lot! There are no added extras, you have an idea where the plot is going, and you're happy to swim along for the ride.
From the beginning I loved Quince. As much as the author tried to put us off him, I could see beneath his annoying surface and see he was a keeper! Lily took so long to see the truth, I found at times I wanted to shake her so that she could see what a wondrous creature stood before her. She is just a little bit self centred and just can't see how amazing Quince is, when everyone around her can. I didn't like Brody at all, but I have never been fond of Golden Boys!
I loved the setting of Thalassina - it was AMAZING! It sounded like an awesome place to visit, the way the author described it, made it easy to imagine in my head.
The epilogue was a bit of shocker. I honestly didn't expect that to happen. And if I'm honest, the ending surprised me too. I came away thinking that Tera Lynn Childs might be a tricksy character in real life.
If you are looking for a mermaid YA book, then this one would definitely be at the top of my list to recommend.
on 21 December 2011
On the outside Lily looks like a normal teenage girl, she even has a crush on the school hottie, but she has one massive secret; she is a mermaid princess! With a mermaid father and human mother Lily never quite feels like she belongs anywhere and has been spending the last few years going to high school as a human. When the Brody, Lily's crush, does not live up to expectations Quince, Lily's annoying neighbour, steps in.

I really liked Lily, but her focus was a bit annoying and I did not really understand why she hated her neighbour so much! Apart from that I thought she was an interesting character and you can tell she is conflicted about where she belongs. It was quite refreshing to have a strong female character who stepped up to take charge especially when they are underwater! I also really liked Quince and found him to be a very likeable character, maybe I just have a thing for bad boys who are really very sweet!

As I have mentioned above, I love that when we were in the underwater world, which is Lily's Kingdom, she was the one who was confident and knew what was going on and Quince was the one who was uncertain and unsure. I felt rather empowering reading it as often it is the female character who is portrayed unsure and needs the male character to help her on her journey. I like that there was a real challenge for the male character, metaphorically and literally, which was just part of Lily's everyday.

It was great that part of the story was set underwater and the world beneath the sea was painted as a beautiful and exciting place. I found it a little hard to picture, only because my mind kept picturing Spongebob Square Pants and all the other cartoons like Shark Tale and Little Mermaid. When I could get rid of these from my mind I loved reading about this new and different world, which was painted to be a beautiful underwater fairytale kingdom.

I thought this was a fun read that moved at a good pace and the story often kept you on your toes. It had likeable characters you wanted to get to know better. It also had an ending that I was not expecting and I can't wait to read the next book in the series to see what happens next!!