Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 December 2014
I had a higher expectation from this book that was suggested from another reader in a product review. I've to say that I've found very little meat in this one... many things put together with little depth. I didn't enjoy the writing style of the author either, in some parts looks like quite childish as well.
The author also emphasises, in my opinion, too much the fact that not having a degree was a good thing in his business journey... I've not got any problem with that but the way he exposes it in the book makes it look too simplistic. Success in business is definitely not related to the fact of having or not having a degree, unfortunately the secret recipe to success in business is not so trivial as he writes.
on 25 August 2012
Most young people are brainwashed into thinking that a degree will open up all the doors they need in their life. It won't. As every graduate unemployment survey will testify - a degree isn't the passport it used to be.

Why, asks Simon? Because 99% of businesses in the UK are small and medium sized enteprises (SMEs) and they don't need people with "graduate skills", they need people with initiative who can improve their businesses.

Simon's advice in this book is truly inspirational! Learn to sell, he says and you will never be out of work. Then once you've learned the ropes in a job - you should set up your own business.

Simon removes all the mystique and alchemy when he explains how to start up your own business. It's straight-forward. It's not like the media portray it on Dragon's Den, or some magic jiggery-pokery, anyone can do it. He explains all the pitfalls, how you can scale up the business from the early days and how to market your services at minimal cost.

If every teenager were to read this book, the UK economy would be in a much better position and we would all be much wealthier.
on 12 October 2011
Nearly never bought this but so glad I did.
I mark all the best bits of business books with pencil and nearly every page of this has pencil on it!
Love his no nonsense approach and his GOWI (Get On With It)
Have to agree with previous reviewers - the best business book I've read and why
isn't this compulsory reading for any parent involved in sending their kids off to Uni?
It should be...Well done Simon:-)
on 20 January 2011
I first found out about Simon Dolan from his motorsport adventures. So it was obvious he had been successful. I followed him on Twitter @simondolan so when he announced he was writing a book I pre-ordered it.

It's a very clear guide to starting and growing a business. Simon talks about problems he had and how he overcame them. Then talks about how he grew his accountancy firm to become one of the most profitable in the UK.

I always judge books on how useful they are and whether I learn something new from them. I'm already an entrepreneur but always learning and I definitely learnt well from Simon. One of the key lessons is how he grew from a single site to covering the whole of the UK. It's also great to read that a successful guy has worked his socks off to get where he is today.

There's a lot of so called "entrepreneurs" who make money from selling books and seminars on how to make millions. These people are not good mentors or "idols" as they haven't done it in the real world. Simon has, so it's worth reading what he has to say.

Well worth a read and I feel it should be compulsory reading for any 16yr old who isn't sure what to do next. University isn't always the best option!!
on 3 June 2012
I personally love reading true life stories about successful entrepreneurs and this book is probably the best that I have read (out of Duncan Bannatyne, Richard Branson, Felix Dennis).

What Simon manages to achieve is brilliant, A lot of similar books like to get too wrapped up in philisophy in my opinion however Simon manages to keep it simple, informatative, entertaining and REAL.

It is very well structured and easy to read (couldnt put it down and read it in 3 days) and if he had another book out I would probably buy that one too.

He details examples of other entrepreneurs who have done good, what they did and how they did it... it is all very simple in fact as long as you undertake the "easy hard work" as he puts it, which is enjoying what you do despite it being hard work and almost forgetting it is hard work because you enjoy it so much.

He started off with a simple £10 advert in the paper so it gives all us hope!

So GOWI (get on with it) and buy this book, guarentee you wont regret it.
on 15 February 2011
I have read all the Dragon's books now and have to say this book is a great read drawing on a few interesting back stories and shows a few people that the author Simon looks to for inspiration himself.

This book makes you realise that to get on you have to work hard, don't need that big idea just the big vision.

If you're looking for something that is a great quick read, that you will pick up time and again when you need that extra encouragement / push, then buy this.
on 6 July 2012
What can I say about this book? Well I had negatives in mind such as the almost disdain this has for Uni grads or the intellectuals who see entrepreneurs as almost delinquent in how they think. Or how he almost brags about his fast cars etc..
But there was no way I couldn't give the book full marks. This guy speaks to you like a brother who talks common sense when starting out in your business. For instance he tells you not to set up a big office with all the latest mod-cons even if you have some money, its a waste. Start by getting customers and starting small even if that means working from a bedroom etc and then grow. But don't stay small for too long unless it's what you want..
This guy deserves everything he has and it shows in his writing..
on 4 April 2012
I met Simon when he was running his Twitter pitching, and I was instantly impressed with his business head, utter determination, drive, and overall extremely friendly and pleasant personality.
I was recently recommended his book on Amazon, and didn't hesitate to download it to my Kindle - I am half way through, and I can't seem to put it down! It's extremely engaging, and is very easy to follow - there is no business jargon, everything Simon talks about is very relatable.

It's very interesting learning about how he got to where he is today, and I would highly recommend this book to any budding entrepreneurs.

Leanne
on 28 December 2010
This is a great read for anyone who wants to be in business. Whether you are still deciding what to do, just starting out, or wanting to improve what you already have, I say it is a must buy. Simon Dolan tells his own remarkable story of how he left school with nothing and built a multi-million pound empire. What I liked even more than the frank and interesting autobiography was the added extras that many entrepreneur's 'auto biographies' lack; it tells us quite simply how WE CAN DO IT TOO! It talks in plain english about how others achieved success and shows us in very easy to understand terms how we can build/improve our own businesses... As a budding entrepreneur (and someone who did not go to uni) myself, I will keep this one for a very long time and take it off the shelf any time I need a boost.
on 13 December 2011
I could have been Simon Dolan, I mean we aren't far apart in age, we had similar experiences in our teens (yes I even lost my driving license too) and we both "messed around" before getting more serious about our careers, yet Simon is a multi-millionaire and I'm not. Of course I bought the book (on Kindle) in the hope that I might find out why.

I expected to read the usual stuff from a "self made man" who just happened to be in the right places at the right time and got very lucky. I didn't really expect more, because such lucky people often don't understand their luck aside from the cliched "the harder I work, the luckier I get". I was pleasantly surprised to find far more insight than that. Simon's luck was probably no greater than average over the years, but he exploited his opportunities whilst also being aware of his limitations.

Beyond the biography, which in itself is good for those of us looking for role models, there's some very practical advice indeed and he even messes with your head a bit if, like me, you are not rich, but have convinced yourself you don't need to be.

I don't resent a penny of the few pounds I've just added to Simon's fortune, it was worth it! Will his advice work for me? I don't know, but I've invested further in a conventional paper copy for the 19 year old son currently "messing around" who has promised to look after me in my old age. Simon might consider that hedging!