on 28 March 2003
A fantastic Book. Suitable for all levels of Counselling Study. Excellent Value for Money. Gives a wide range of information from starting the counselling learning process explaining the core conditions in great depth but in a very understandable language that does not confuse, to ending sessions & counselling relationships. I found it very interesting to read how the author explained Counsellor self care in depth,encouraging all levels of counsellor to ensure they 'look after themselves too'. I enjoyed reading the case studies immensely, and extracts from sessions very useful. The book helped disperse some of the fears & worries about how to approach different areas of counselling and gave me new ideas about how to deal with difficult clients & situations that can arise with a wide variety of clients. Excellent readable layout, Very highly Recommended.
on 21 February 2006
This is the first book that gave me a real idea of how counselling works in practice. Also, it makes the theory understandable because it is always linked with examples. I tended to be rather cautious with clients but this has freed me up to be more myself. I recommend this book to any students learning about relationships with clients.
on 28 April 2009
This classic text is a must for anyone studying Person-centred counselling. I have to admit, I find the text a bit turgid, so packed with information it is a little hard to digest in a sitting, but it's a seminal work and worth the wading.
on 31 January 2010
I found this book very helpful to me as I am participating on a diploma course for person-centered counselling. The author highlights how important it is to look after the "self" as a counsellor, and also includes comments and thoughts from counsellors who have provided their own case studies. I did find the case studies very interesting, as it gave me a good insight into what is good and what can be tricky when dealing with a client. This book was easy to read and understand, and not too much complicated jargon, and I feel would be helpful tool for a person-centred trainee counsellor.
on 16 July 2014
I can't recommend this book enough for those beginning their journey in person-centred counselling, or for those like me who wish to reconnect with their theoretical base and brush up on their knowledge. Janet Tolan has a very accessible writing style, which is a breath of fresh air in academic texts, and the guest contributors have either been chosen well or taken great care to write in a similar style.
on 11 September 2014
This book is an excellent read, in English easy to understand. I used it through L2 & L3 it was invaluable
on 15 January 2016
I am currently on a course in counselling skills so I purchased this book for a bit of background reading.

It really is a good read and essential for the course and very useful for anyone interested in the person centred approach to read.

Arrived quickly and has been really well used already
on 31 July 2012
This book I would recommend to any undertaking any kind of counselling course that focuses on the person centre appproach. I am amazed by the quality and amount of information in this read.
on 31 March 2014
Really good read, has been a great study aid. Has filled the 'gaps' in my learning and given me clarity
on 31 December 2014
Excellent introduction with clear examples and explaination of concepts. Tolan makes complex topics accessible and interesting.. My colleagues agree this is a great place to start.