on 27 December 2013
An interesting book which certainly gave me a new way of looking at things. There's a lot of conjecture in the book, but the author is quite open and upfront about this and doesn't present it in a manner which tries to present it as a definitive account. I'd recommend it.
on 16 October 2013
I read this in the hopes of gaining some insights into just what the hell the Nazi's were thinking, I guess the answer is they were just nuts and not really thinking at all. Sometimes there is just no understanding.
on 12 June 2017
Nonsense.
on 28 August 2014
This book is an interesting read, but I've read better books on this subject. A little short for my liking. Two very noticeable errors, picture of Goering is titled Himmler and a picture of Himmler titled Goering. In my humble opinion this book can be used as a starting point on the Nazis and the Occult. The book shows the top Nazis reliance on astrology and some other strange ideas. The book also tires to challenge preconceived ideas on this subject, has it done so ? I am not sure. I leave it up to any person who reads this book to decide.
on 23 November 2013
The author has a thorough knowledge of the subject and examines it from a lot of different angles. There is no prejudice by the author and it certainly provides a new, and unknown, insight of the Third Reich's leadership and convictions.
on 23 April 2013
I was quite surprised how even-handed and sober this book was. It could have quite easily been a hysterical take on this subject, but the arguements put forward and assessments of the evidence was quite sensible. Overall a very good read on an interesting subject.
on 30 March 2013
This is a very illuminating book, which details the superstitious,and downright crazy beliefs involved in the Nazis cult
Even during the second world war many top level decisions were influenced by these beliefs, and superstitions, which
obviously were often counterproductive.
An overlooked element in the conventional history of the.war
on 5 August 2014
Interesting and fairly well written. Thus is a good introduction to the topic. It seems quite biased towards a belief in the occult however and therefore comes across as less believable. However, I enjoyed this book very much.
on 6 November 2015
Pretty much a piece of junk. Just take a look at the bibliography. Also, when will idiots stop referring to the Franco regime in Spain as 'fascist'? It might have been pretty unpleasant, but it didn't have much in common with Mussolini's people.
Okay, so it suggests that chaps like Himmler were a bit wacko - what's new?
There is a book waiting to be written on this subject, but it needs the attention of a trained historian with access to primary and secondary sources, not a journalistic dabbler. Even someone like Colin Wilson would have made a better fist of it.
on 26 October 2011
I don't leave reviews very often, but I was moved to write a few words in support of Paul Roland's book having read the most recent review. To be honest, this isn't my usual genre of reading material, but I found myself engrossed in a friend's copy and ended up taking it home with me.

Roland has certainly added an interesting element to the stories we've all heard about the Nazis and I'd recommend the book to anyone with a passing interest in the topic. I feel it's a little unfair to say this book is not well written; Roland, after all, has a number of tomes to his name and is well respected in his field. Yes, of course his personality comes through in the text, but I don't have any problem with a book containing commentary alongside facts - Roland's perspective only encouraged me to think a little more and, perhaps, come to some of my own conclusions.

If you want a monotone, factual book, read an encyclopedia. If, on the other hand, you'd like to open your mind an be absorbed in the writings of an author who clearly knows his stuff and is not afraid to offer some fresh insights, buy this book and enjoy.