Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 July 2012
I bought this on a whim, after completing Dragon Age: Origins for the umptienth time, and needed something to read for the summer. David Gaider is obviously quite talented and involved with his characters, as seen in DAO, but I was really taken back with how well it all translated into writing. It takes a lot more effort to suddenly put a world onto paper, rather than have it shown in a "living" world, where you have voices, sounds, and images to convey everything. Mr. Gaider nailed that.

I've been getting gradually more upset with fantasy as a book-genre, as it's been ages since I've read an author who took the responsibility of his world seriously. Everything only ever seems to exist from page to page, and it's not very fun or compelling to read something like that. Gaider cheats a bit, by having an already established world, with characters and events already known to anyone who's played DAO, but it really just doesn't matter. He still writes his story beautifully and you end up with a great, fast-paced fantasy epic, that draws you in. Only the epilogue seemed a bit weak to me, yet I was smiling as I read through it. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys a good fantasy read, just as much as people who are wanting more from the world of Thedas.

Actually reading on the war with Orlais was more than enough to get me hooked, but getting to know the characters involved was more fulfilling than anything.

As with DAO itself, the only real complaint I had, was that there wasn't more of it.
Now show your love, and buy this!
on 2 March 2013
I first came across the Dragon Age franchise in the form of Dragon Age: Origins, the video game on Xbox 360. What immediately struck me was how mature of a storyline the game held, it wasn't for children and it was a realistic tale told in a frontal assault on your mind as you played. So when I was browsing one evening on Amazon I came across the tie-in novels of the franchise, written by David Gaider who was lead writer of the video game. Instinctively I checked the reviews of those who bought the book first, and it struck me most of the buyers were fans of the video game.

Going by a few reviews that said the book was very well written, and was perfect for any fan of the game I bought all three novels from Gaider; (1) The Stolen Throne, (2) The Calling and (3) Asunder. The moment it arrived I jumped into the first book, The Stolen Throne. I immediately knew most of the characters from references in the game, and knew that this was a prequel to the game set about twenty years or more before the events of the video game Origins.

I was immediately intrigued to learn about events leading up to the video game, and I was thoroughly enthralled from start to finish. In fact I took the book everywhere with me in order to continue to read it, both at work and at home. I couldn't put it down, as locations and lore of the game were explored and expanded on. I have to admit that this series of novels is really for fans of the game, mainly to understand the setting and some of the characters you have to know of them beforehand. Very well written, not too long nor too short. I didn't feel cheated for the price I paid, which I found reasonable on the site and I would recommend this book to fans of the Dragon Age franchise.
on 28 March 2011
NOTE: This review does contain a few minor spoilers!

I am a massive fan of Dragon Age: Origins and the universe that Bioware created so I bought this book on the off-chance that it might be a decent read. I wasn't expecting much, it has to be said, but I thought it might be interesting to occupy my time for a few hours with a BOOK instead of a game... and I must say that I really enjoyed it! I read it in about 3 sittings, finding myself quite engrossed in the story, which in itself is very interesting.

The setting is Ferelden, a country in the world of Thedas, which is under the occupation of Orlesian invaders - think England and France in the middle ages for an idea of what a real life Ferelden and Orlais may look like. You are told the story of Maric, the last of the Theirin bloodline, whose mother (The Rebel Queen) has been murdered by her trusted "allies". Following Maric's escape from his mother's killers, by chance he meets Loghain Mac Tir and the two find what remains of the rebels and the army his mother built; what follows is the story of how Maric reclaims the Ferelden throne, taken from his grandfather by the Orlesian invaders. The battle scenes are well written, the pace is good and the characterization, like in all Bioware games, is brilliant and you really feel for them. The light brought to the character of Loghain, one of the main antagonists in DA:O, is very interesting and gives him a whole new dimension. My only complaint with it is that the ending came too fast - though how it was rounded off was quite nice! - and it could have easily been 50 pages more to finish things off.

All in all a good read for any fans of the Dragon Age universe, and a decent introduction to the series for anyone thinking of playing the games. It might not be as intriguing for those who aren't familiar with the games, as there are some references to characters from Origins, such as Flemeth the Witch of the Wilds, but it is still a solid fantasy story. I would definitely recommend it, particularly for such a low price!
on 7 June 2015
There are many reviews giving this book 5 stars. What is especially notable about this is they are much better written than the book they are praising. The writing is execrable. I have not finished this book because I could take no more. It is either translated from some other language, or it was written by a teenager who is not particularly fluent. I wanted to like the book because it begins a series based on one of my favourite games. The morrowind books are so superior it is not even funny.
on 8 January 2013
Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne is a must read for hardcore Dragon Age videogame fans. It explains some interesting facts about King Maric, Alistair's father, and Loghain who happens to be the great villain in the first of Dragon Age games.
What mostly fascinated me was the strong and strategic mind of Loghain. Without him, Maric would not have achieved his throne back. Loghain is my favourite character in this book and I came to understand that he does not tolerate a leader that is feeble and weak and that his duty and loyalty is not for King Maric or King Cailan but for Ferelden only and that is why he committed the actions he did in the game.
When I decided to read this book, I wanted to find answers about the origin of Alistair, but here you won't find it. I did, however, got a pleasant surprise to see a lot of him in Maric's personality. How he was a weak and unprepared man to a successful warrior and decisive man in order to reclaim his throne. The same could be seen in Alistair during the game. I won't spoil for anybody.
It was a pleasant read and I actually was addicted and could not stop reading. It is a page turner.
on 19 May 2011
This book was good because it told the story of the rise of King Maric, son of the Rebel Queen. In the story we meet the young Loghain, the mysterious elf Katriel and Maric's betrothed from childhood Rowan. These people are thrown together and experience an adventure amid the conflict of civil war in Ferelden. The story is great, filled with battle, blood and romance, a stimulating read if you haven't read in a while.

We meet the mysterious and rotten to the core darkspawn who populate the dark and dangerous Dwarven deep roads, underground passages lined with dilapidated dwarven architecture and giant vicious spider creatures with oozing mandibles. A Chasind witch named Flemeth also features and mysterious magic is everywhere. Loghain is given the task of escorting the young Maric to safety after he runs away from the soldiers who murdered his mother.

Maric is young and sheltered at the beginning of the story but soon becomes stronger and more powerful as he finds allies and trains to bring together the scattered rebel army, in order to topple the Orlaisian usurper who currently holds the throne of Ferelden in his tyrannical grip.
on 11 August 2013
As a big fan of the Dragon Age games, this book provided nice context to a lot of the events in Origins, especially Loghain's history and how this influences his actions during the Blight. A few of the events were not so much foreshadowed as fore-neon-signed, but when the plot actually got there Gaider still managed to throw in a few surprises. Being a prequel, the ending was a foregone conclusion but the storyline, along with the vague information in DAO, managed to maintain suspense and worry for the characters up until the end.

In terms of writing the action scenes were not brilliant but the characters, which are what Gaider writes for the games, were very well done.

I'm not sure I would describe it as essential as the marketing does, but I would definitely recommend this to any fans of the Dragon Age games and vice versa.
on 13 April 2010
I imported this book from America a few months ago after completing just about everything i think there is in dragon age origins on the ps3, often in the game mentions are made to the events that occured prior to Fereldan regaining its' independence and in this book the story of how the Orlesians were overthrown by Maric, Loghain and Rowan is told. The story is good and very enjoyable and a must to any big fan of the game as it ties in excellently and pulls the whole story together. So i would definatly recommend it to anyone who like me was wanting more of the game to play but just couldn't find any.
on 8 August 2014
I didn't know what to expect of this book.
Before reading it, i only knew of the events described in the book through the few clues given in Dragon Age: Origins.
It turns out that the story of how Maric & Loghain (amonst others) came to free Ferelden of the Orlesian occupation is extremely exciting and worth learning about. If you're a fan of Dragon Age, this book is a must read. One can't fully understand Loghain's actions in the game without reading this book. It also gives a completely different point of view on him.
As for Maric and Rowan (Cailan's mother), I found the characters very endearing and well developed.
I highly recommend this book. You won't regret reading it.
on 2 December 2011
After playing Dragon Age: Origins I wanted more and after reading the ecellent Mass Effect novels, I decided to give the Dragon Age ones ago (mainly because they, like the Mass Effect books, they were written by the lead writer of the game).
The Stolen Throne and The Calling are both prequesl to Origins and are superbly well written. The characterisation is well developed and each character is well thought out. The book is very well paced and will make you want to turn to the next page (well it did for me anyway).
If you are a fan of Origins and want to have more from that game then I would thoroughly recommend this book, and its sequel.