Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 November 2016
As a big fan of Bioshock, this book fills in the blanks about what happened in Rapture pre 1959 and why events took the turn they did. If you like Bioshock the collection then this book is for you. If you have not played any of the titles then you may struggle to understand the plot of the book
on 6 September 2017
I am a big, big, big fan of the Bioshock series and it was very enjoyable immersing myself back into Rapture with this book. Definitely worth a read. great storytelling from John Shirley and some insight into characters we didn't get to hear a lot of back story from in the games.
on 10 September 2017
One of the best books I have ever read!
This is an outstanding book. I was absolutely gripped by this. I love Bioshock and this told the story in great detail. The story is compelling, dark and gritty.

It tells the Rapture story in great detail and makes you feel as though you are there watching the city under the sea fall apart.

They only negative is that the author should write a book about the time in between Bioshock 1 and 2.

Great read I would 100% recommend.
on 2 August 2017
I'm a fan of the BioShock series and this book is a must for any fan. It offers more in depth knowledge about how it all started and how/when it all went wrong. Well written and draws you in.
on 22 January 2017
Not read the kindle version yet, but have read the paperback and had to buy it again. Great backstory and well written.
on 16 May 2017
as described
on 18 May 2017
While I really enjoyed the book, the pages started falling out very easily. Has anyone else had this problem? Had to throw away the book in the end.
on 29 September 2015
Couldn't figure out if fan fiction or commisioned prequel for back story, but kept me hooked and enjoyed, only downfall (in my opinion) not enough about the origins of Daddies, it was much more character-focussed
on 14 August 2017
Bought as gift the quality is good, came really fast in the post.
on 10 September 2011
I'm less than 200 pages in, but it's a totally engrossing world that John 'don't call me' Shirley has created. He has created a completely new story within the Bioshock world as a prequel, and is filled with great attention to detail, convincing characters, insight into Raptures history and how it was created, more insight into Frank Fontaine who would go on to be a major player in the original game, and so much more. An involving book, and PROOF that not all videogame books are terribly written. I need to read the whole book for a complete opinion, but honestly this book deserves to be read, even if you haven't played Bioshock before, because the Sci-Fi premise is fascinating.

OK so I finished the book recently, and I'll say that it manages to keep the superb atmosphere throughout the whole novel. Towards the end things are probably sped up a bit too much with a lot of story crammed into the last 50 pages, but other than that, I can't fault this book. On the 2nd readthrough you know the characters and can form a better picture of the early chapters in your mind, and that's what I'm doing now.