Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 5 December 2012
This is the definitive work on Chris Foss and his tantalising skills, about which superlatives seem inadequate. I bought it for my nephew's Christmas present, but in truth, I am wondering about getting another! It's larger and thicker than the previous work "Dragon's Dream" and surpasses it on every level: the colour `plates' reminiscent of the original `Eagle' annual have a majestic, deep, rich and vivid quality that gives life to the artwork of arguably the best SF artist. It contains more Foss artwork than one's mind can compass and some breathtaking double pages of some of his finest work including my all time favourite SF image on page 130/131.

Given our somewhat overcrowded world that is supporting, I wonder, just about as many humans as it can: I suspect that mankind's continued existence will depend on spaceships with faster than light drive. Though I cannot see this breakthrough occurring in my lifetime I wonder if when men do journey beyond Saturn's rings to distant colonies in far flung planets, orbiting unimagined stars, whether any of those men will know of Chris Foss whose inventive mind has seen and given life to some of those things they will view and the technology they'll have used to get there! Wonderful.
on 18 July 2012
This is a real find for me and anyone who remembers the covers of old sci fi paperbacks. My dad had hundreds of them years ago, I remember them vividly and they are all in here. Along with all the classica are hundreds of early works and undiscovered gems, I never knew he did studies for Alien for instance, making this a true treasure trove of top quality art. It's a good size too.
Lots of beautiful full page and double page plates and a good lump of text at the beginning that is worth reading.
A great book at a great price. Buy it. You will not be disappointed.
on 2 May 2012
Chris Foss's incredible images led to be reading some truly awful sci-fi books 30 years ago. But I have forgiven him. The images in the book are great. Sadly the book was let down a bit by poor printing. I had to use a sharp knife to separate 5 or 6 pages. Perhaps I was just unlucky.
on 10 August 2011
There is very little that I can say about this artist. I have for years seen his art everywhere and have never tired of it; that is to say that I have always longed to see more and now I know that he is even better than I thought. Now that I have got that out of the way this, is a must have book for any fantasy/Sci-Fi budding artist or otherwise: this is a master at work and make no mistake about it.

Ernust Iunius Felix.
on 15 April 2014
A substantial book with great print quality, this really is worth every penny. Stunning artwork, guaranteed to keep you enthralled for hours. My only slight criticism is that the foreword text is set in "a cool futuristic font" (ahem) which makes it harder to read. Don't let that put you off, it's all about the artwork and this book is brimming with it.
on 10 September 2014
THE definitive FOSS book, and edited by someone I used to know! Beautifully designed and giving a good insight into the artist and his awe inspiring work. And all done with real paint...!
on 20 October 2015
This is a great book with lots of pictures; is not a how to book, more inspirational but a must for any sf artist.
on 16 March 2016
Excellent book full of full page prints. Very inspirational.
on 28 October 2015
Quality print. From early drawings to late paintings of the tireless space junk producer Chris Foss. Superb volume on the history of cover art and more.
on 31 May 2016
Takes me back to the 1980 spent wandering around libraries and second hand book shops,stumbling upon bright depictions of alien worlds and sci-fi tech.