Customer reviews

on 29 May 2014
For an anime fan who is more interested in what goes on behind the scenes, from the creators, the marketers and even the reviewers, Schoolgirl Milky Crisis is a great way to find out. Jonathan Clements knows where all the bodies are berried in relation to the anime world, in particular relation to the early years of the UK industry. As both an insider and observer, there are a huge number of stories showing how the industry's works (or sometimes doesn't!). If you're looking for a history of anime or detailed explanations about particular shows, this isn't the place to find them. Instead it shines a light on the industry, revealing the highs and lows of life within.
on 13 September 2012
I have admired the work of the author, Jonathan Clements, for a while now, so I was naturally very excited when I finally got around to reading Schoolgirl Milky Crisis and was eager to dive in. I came in with high hopes and having recently completed the book, I can delightfully say that my expectations were exceeded. Schoolgirl Milky Crisis is incredibly interesting, absolutely absorbing, consistently funny and an overall pleasure to read.

Schoolgirl Milky Crisis is a compilation of Jonathan Clements' periodicals, sleeve notes and lecture transcripts on anime/manga collated over the many years he has been involved in the anime industry. True to Jonathan's ability, he discusses the innards of the industry not only in sheer depth but in utter breadth also, covering areas such as the common misconceptions about the trade, outrageous stories from his experience, digital animation, anime erotica and so much more. The book even goes beyond the scope of manga and anime, dedicating chapters to Chinese Animation, Korean Animation and Kaiju (Rubber Monsters); such topics could potentially be very useful to some academics, especially given their rarity in English literature.

Other than the cute `chibi-style' (super-deformed) illustrations by the talented Steve Kyte, Schoolgirl Milky Crisis does not contain much imagery - though I somewhat doubt it was intended to. I believe Jonathan himself touches upon why this is case, and if the addition of images would mean compromising the textual content, I would much rather prefer a well-written book packed with accurate information - which Schoolgirl Milky Crisis is. But if you are somebody searching for a book loaded with visuals instead, you may need to search elsewhere.

That being said, I would highly recommend this book without hesitation to anybody interested in learning about the anime/manga trade or if you simply wish to know more about anime/manga.

If like me, you would like to learn even more from Jonathan, you can follow him via his Schoolgirl Milky Crisis blog: [...]
on 27 May 2009
I picked this up after reading a small blurb in the newspaper, and I wasn't sure what to expect, my only foray into the anime world was when the 90's craze started, then again with pokemon and sailor moon, and recently with the studio ghibli films.
Having read this book I realize I haven't even scratched the surface of anime and theres several other shows I'd like to see (some of which have made their way into my amazon basket.)
Jonathan also takes time to talk about the various comics in japan, aimed at all kinds of age groups, pachinko gambling machines, and live action movies and series such as godzilla and ultraman, both of which are partially responsible for shaping the anime world. This was a great, often funny and informative book from start to finish, thankfully the author has his own online blog also called schoolgirl milky crisis which he updates often, I'd advise reading some of his posted articles on there to give you a feel for the book.