Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 May 2014
At the beginning and was quite irritated by the actions followed by the main characters. As I read more and more I realised that the author is holding up a mirror to the reader and offering them a view of themself.
on 23 September 2015
I struggled through this book, admittedly skimming some bits. I really did not think it was very good. 1) There was far too much detail about colostomies which did not add anything to the narrative. 2) I felt there were several disparate story lines not well connected with each other - is this book about Cecilia's (and Helen's) battle with cancer, the consequences of Ian's fling with Leda/Jane, Helen's relationship with her family or the impact of mental illness? The Cecilia/Tim - Ian/Marina - Leda triangle could have been much more satisfactorily worked. And what happened to the 'daughter given up for adoption' thread? That was left dangling. As, in the end, were all the other plot lines.
on 18 January 2014
Mental illness and colon cancer, coupled with concern over parental custody do not look like promising subjects for a happy novel. But, as the title says, the real theme is love. I was happy as a read it.
on 18 March 2013
I loved this book. The title is a little misleading but as you get into the story it all makes perfect sense and shows love in its many guises. I had heard an interview with the author on the radio and she had first hand experience of the medical condition which was key to the main character in the book. The book was well written and all the characters, whilst totally different, integrated well with each other to make the book a real page turner. Very insightful and I didn't want it to end.
on 24 November 2015
Extraordinary & beautifully written. Gives an honest insight into a little discussed subject - that of living with colon cancer & colostomy. All the more poignant as the author has since died.
on 13 February 2013
From the first page I was captivated - I found myself totally absorbed in the story yet at the same time very aware of how much wisdom and medical information was contained in those pages. I treasured each chapter and appreciated the craftmanship of every paragraph. I let a friend borrow my copy and his response was the same as mine. A perfect choice for any book club.
on 10 February 2013
A very good read and my wife has recommended to her book loving friends ( it was a stocking filler from me )
on 13 December 2013
This book is exceptionally well written, original ideas, educational about a subject of fear (colostomy) and also gripping and unputdownable. It deserves all the prizes.
on 5 March 2014
Bernardine Bishop obviously thought it necessary to use repetition as a means of emphasis in her book making the early part of the story quite boring for this reader. She then managed to confuse me by introducing a completely new character half way through the book with the same name as one who had died in the earlier half! This book could have been so much shorter and I found it difficult to like any of the characters. It will stay in my memory for a long time as a book I would not recommend although several of my friends really enjoyed it!
on 6 February 2014
I chose 5 star rating as I thought it was a very enjoyable book, a real page turner, with sentiment without being sentimental. I strongly recommend it