Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now

on 17 November 2012
The Middle Class ABC is wonderfully funny and for anyone who has ever hankered for or owns a second home, has 'interesting' names for their children it is a must. I laughed out loud at a joke on every page. I've never written a review here before but this is so good I want to share. The illustrations Are wonderful and subversive without ever being nasty. It is a wonderful mirror on middle class Britain today and should be in every Middling loo by the end of the year and if that's not enough Stephen Fry described it as entirely charming - it is.
on 13 November 2012
I was expecting the usual how to be middle class guidebook but re-visiting the bunting-clad cover I'm wondering why I could possibly have thought that? Just one look should have told me this was different. It is BRILLIANT, brilliantly funny, brilliantly observed, brilliantly written and brilliantly drawn. I think to get the full joy of it it needs to be passed round a dinner table (or as I have discovered from the book itself)'kitchen supper'table which has now replaced the moribund dinner party - and read out loud. No 'quirk' of the modern middle classes is left unturned - whether its the Kirstie Allsop (accurately renamed Kirsty Allposh for the book) inspired mania for 'Knocking Through' or the ridiculous names of the children of modern middlings everything is spot on. But then I suppose it would be, the authors are called Fi and Zebedee so I suppose they know a thing or two about Boden, Bunting and Boxed Sets. And as they would, and do, say quite often in the book - 'What fun!", it really is
on 27 November 2012
This is indeed the perfect book to be shared, nonchalantly left about on coffee tables, bedside tables and even on the Ottoman (see O). In fact I think everyone should buy several so they can have one in each room and some to spare as last minute presents. It is very funny, perceptive and the cartoons are brilliant.
on 29 October 2012
I love this book, it made me laugh so much. It is clever and witty and sympathetic with lovely cartoons that are very original. It will make an amazing Christmas present. Once you have seen it you will want one in the loo or beside the bed to dip in and out of. I did a lot more dipping in than out!
on 14 December 2012
Oh dear the middle classes exposed in all their glory... Yes guilty as charged but much more fun for thinking about the people you know. A real giggle and a good gift for a yummy mummy but only one with a sense of irony. The real thing will think it is her autobiography!!!!
on 18 November 2012
This is the book I would like to be given for Christmas if I hadn't already been given it. It's not simply very funny, it's also, in its teasing way, acutely perceptive. Yes, it's perfect for dipping into (it calls itself a 'loo book') but I galloped through it, with never less than a grin and more often an out-loud chuckle. And the cartoons are absolutely inspired.
on 11 November 2012
To call this a loo book is I think, not right. I do not want to keep my copy locked away in the smallest room in the house for brief moments of  humour. I want to shout about it loudly and read it with friends. It is brilliant. And very funny. Funny in that slightly disconcerting  way.  The humour is observant and wry and exposing and perhaps a little too close to the bone. But that is what makes it so good. And less of a loo book and more of a scarily accurate historical account of some of the ridiculous and not so ridiculous aspects of contemporary "middling" British society.  And that is why it is a book to share and to laugh about and to enjoy with others. Not to lock away for moments of privacy. It is brilliantly written.  And  it is packed with illustrations that are whacky and true. And really excellent. This is not a loo book.  Because of this or despite of this, you should buy it.
on 19 December 2012
This book is:
NOT just for loos (as suggested on the cover). I recommend the Office for maximum enjoyable displacement activity.
NOT just for Christmas (as suggested by some reviewers). I suggest it is for life (like a dog).
NOT just for the Middle Classes. See below.

You will love this book:
If you wouldn't be seen dead in the Middle Class but enjoy laughing at us.
If you are Upper Class and ditto.
If you are aspiring Middle Class. This is essential reading.
And, of course, if you are Middle Class and can laugh at yourself.

Whichever - give yourself a treat.
on 27 January 2016
Almost couldn't believe all the good reviews, but they weren't wrong! Very funny, delighted yet mortified at how closely I could identify with far too many things here! A highlight was the names of the children- inspired!
on 13 November 2012
This book is a bit like a Post-It note, the sort of thing you don't realise you have been waiting for until someone invents it. It is hilarious and filled with brilliant jokes, teases and drawings about anyone and anything middle class. The children's names are wonderful - my favourites are Ptarmigan and Ptolemy - the ptwins. I LOLd - a lot, perfect for Christmas.