Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 October 2013
Chose this book as I am currently studying to become a counsellor with people suffering mental health as well as volunteering at MIND, This book although only read bits is unbelievable and makes you really think, I even had the opportunity to meet Dr David Hamillton recently at a talk he was doing not only about this book & previous but also his New Book which is being published next year, Wow what a great evening and meeting him was amazing he is so down to earth and speaks in layman's terms so you can comfortably chat for ages. This is truly inspirational and certainly changed my way of thinking ... Even got David to sign the book for me . Definitely worth a read
on 25 October 2015
I discovered this author, David Hamilton, through the Amazon website and am enthralled with this book. Am in the process of reading it and find it fascinating and coinciding with many of my own thoughts. His books are well worth finding.
on 6 February 2013
Complicated concepts explained simply. Excellent. This book is well written. I saw David speak which prompted me to buy the book. I bought this as a present. The receiver has also enjoyed it.
on 30 March 2013
Fantastic, full of really interesting facts. I'm building quite a collection of books of this genre and Dr David Hamilton is a prolific writer and one of the best on this subject.
on 2 August 2013
Like all of Dr Hamilton's books really thought provoking and informative. He makes scientific gobblygook easy to understand. A perfect mixture of science and belief xx
on 13 March 2017
An Incredible read - Highly Recommended
on 27 September 2012
I enjoyed reading Is Your Life Mapped Out? Learn how to achieve your goals by writing down your goals, visualize them and act on them, David explains the five steps to take and provides research to show how effective it is to take all 5 steps instead of just setting goals.
Great tools like how to set affirmations, effects of gratitude exercises and positive emotions and training by doing the 21-day complaint free challenge where you need to go 21 days without complaining. At first its a difficult challenge but it makes a difference by helping you change your thought process, practice makes perfect!
That was a review based on the final chapter, its a thought-provoking book.
on 22 September 2014
I am so glad I came across this author and was also glad to have been able to meet him a couple of weeks ago to thank him in person. I am not a very scientific person but I thought the way he puts his ideas across is simple and his tips are helpful (to me at least) so much so that I discreetly left my copy at work with a note saying 'help yourself' (in the place where doughnuts are usually left) and it was gone within half an hour - I hope the book is helping that person too. The author is a great speaker so if ever you have the chance to hear him, take it. I understand the comments left by the reader who gave it one star and am aware that this is not for eveyone (The Secret was definitely not for me) but if this author is able to help at least one person, then good on him.
on 26 March 2016
I picked this one up too quickly, having had my interest piqued by the strapline, and also assuming that an author who is pushing the fact that he has earned a PhD on the front page, and who has included a few pages of references, might be taking an evidence-based approach to the subject matter. Sadly I was mistaken - Dr. Hamilton's book is packed from cover to cover (not that I made it past the first few chapters) with pseudo scientific clap trap. Want to read about how humans can anticipate future events by 'pre-cognition'? Like to have 'alternative' theories presented without any examination of the robustness of the evidence? Or indeed without any evidence at all? Then this is the book for you.
For me - a very disappointing and misleading read.
on 14 November 2012
This is a well-coordinated assembly of what might otherwise be deemed disconnected subjects. It is the skill with which he interlinks these themes into a clearly understandable theory that should be hard to grasp that is the book's key achievement. That he does so with very simple prose makes for all the greater achievement. In fact, his writing style makes for such effortless reading that I wondered why others did not choose to write this way. The problem, I suspect, is that grand pose makes writers feel smart.

I am happy to offer 5 stars as long, however, as the audience is open-minded to more esoteric aspects of science, and who can suspend critical judgement enough to stick with the theory assembly process. He covers a lot of the less critically accepted subjects. For example, for some, the oft-used hijacking of quantum mechanics principles at a macroscopic scale will alone be a turn-off.

But the whole point is that there is a coherency to his writing that makes the subjects chosen prudent. A coherency that is missing in many other ethereal-natured books.

The title of the first chapter on Chronobiology rang alarm bells, making me feel that I would be in for a set of far-fetched fringe-science fantasies. But this alien subject is a legitimate one, and his writing is well founded. And illuminating. It really set the tone for the following chapters, explaining how much we have lost sight of the degree to which we naturally interact with the environment. Some of this was a revelation to me, but I will not spoil the story by revealing these matters.

He covers genetics and the much more fanciful recent epigenetics research, but again, to support his theory.

And the key to his theory is that we have both destiny and free will; that there are multiple potential outcomes that in effect all sit there for us to choose from. His neat way of describing this mix is to see destiny as a river, and free will as paddles allowing us to change tack. He goes onto explain that visualising and wishing for certain outcomes seems to make such future possible paths actually draw us to them, in the style of the 'Law of attraction'.

But this book is much more than a mass-market 'get what you wish for' offering. It links all the threads together in a unified theory that worked for me. And by providing this theory, most of the other books on the so-called law of attraction are made to look shallow. He provides the substance so often lacking.