on 28 April 2017
good
on 15 August 2014
A mash-up of current received wisdom on nutrition and a buddhist mindfulness-based approach - and it's generally very clear which of the authors has written a particular section, it's not integrated. The nutrition information is research-based, but includes results from very different kinds of research - large-scale epidemiological studies to small-scale lab-based behavioural or single-nutrient studies - without really differentiating between the validity and applicability of evidence from such different sources. (That's a pretty general problem in studying human diet, not just this book). The mindfulness approach, I like. I find TNH's exposition clear and inspiring, but I'm not sure how it would appear to someone who was not already familiar with mindfulness - I hope, useful and encouraging, even revelatory. My major problem with this book is that it seems very much concerned with obesity and dieting in a quite conventional, judgmental way - the opposite of a truly mindful approach. Mindful eating should surely be just as applicable to people with eating disorders, people using nutrition as part of dealing with disease and injury, or sports training, or people with no particular health issues who want to gain greater enjoyment from eating, or just use mindful eating as a path to the practice of mindfulness in everyday life. There is little if any appreciation of that here. Having said that, there is much that is useful in each of the authors' approaches, though personally I find the checklisty programmey bits less than helpful - the whole approach seems contradictory, in that mindful eating should teach you to trust your body and eat well without the (pseudo?)science. But for people coming from the diet-industry direction, the mindfulness element could well help them to break free from calorie-counting and diet fads, and the factual information is broadly sensible. I also like the discussion of wider issues that affect our eating - the inter-connectedness of everything - it's not just ME and MY DIET, but how habits around food are part of a broader picture.
So, in summary, I find the two strands - science-based nutrition and mindfulness - poorly integrated, even contradictory, but each brings something of value. Some people may find both these approaches helpful, and certainly there's plenty to pick and choose from. All the same, I far prefer Jan Chozen Bays' book on mindful eating to this odd amalgam.
on 26 May 2011
If you are interested in or trying to incorporate Mindfulness into your life then this is a very interesting book. If you are looking for a 'diet' book then this is also useful. However if you are fed up of dieting and are trying to follow a more intuitive way of eating then perhaps only the Mindfulness in this book is useful. The author can be quite bossy about the eating bit!
on 17 March 2015
Very good tips
on 31 May 2014
Brilliant book once again my this Author/Buddhist Monk/Teacher everything you need to know why you eat so mindlessly. It make you more aware of why we have got into such a rut with our eating habits, and of course it is all about re training our minds not to over load our bodies with foods that supply no nourishment for the body........... such a great great read...........
on 21 July 2011
This is a book about developing a gentle way of living and a gentle way of losing weight . . . . and like all of Thich Nhat Hanh's books ... you always put them down feeling calm and reassured .... and ya don't have to be a Buddhist to reap the benefits! Fantsatic .... science and simplicity in a single volume!!!
on 3 April 2014
Good book on how to eat. Appreciating the eating experience in your life and raising the possible awareness of how much do we need to eat. To be mindful of how we react to food and how we can get too attached to certain aspects of an eating experience. Really shows us how to keep our eating in check! Read it...it is good for you!
on 16 August 2014
I was disappointed with this book.The part written by the zen master was good but a repetition of older works .The nutrition part was not very useful to me.The recipes were not very tasty and I did not think it was mindful.It seemed two books in one .
on 6 January 2015
Very helpful book , in depth, different approach to losing weight, with mindfulness . One to read again and again loved it
on 14 September 2016
A good read though slightly tongue in cheek.