on 22 February 2012
Being used to Dorling Kindersley travel guides I didnt have great expectations of this - the only one I could find on Porto, but I was pleasantly surprised. There were several maps covering different areas & the public transport map (& info) was easy to follow. By reading this before our 4 night stay I was able to plan a tentative itinerary (including a trip to Guimaraes- 1hr by train away) This book, combined with internet research before a trip, then the book for reference during the trip, will have you covered.
on 28 July 2012
This was the only travel book I could find for my short trip to Porto and, as I'm not over-confident with solo travelling, I felt I really needed something with me...

The book arrived by return of post. I found it contained more than enough information for me; history of Porto, attraction highlights, maps, food and accommodation and some useful Portuguese words and phrases. The practical getting-around information is also very useful.

The book itself is quite compact (to be fair it is labelled as a pocket guide!) but I think it contains more than enough information and personally I appreciated it not taking up too much room in my bag! I thought it was good value for money and was really pleased with the speedy delivery.
on 24 October 2011
Excellent pocket size guide. The book includes a few words of Portuguese to help you get by. There are also restaurant and cafe tips. Looking forward to seeing everything it mentions.
on 24 August 2012
I bought this book as it was the only one dedicated to the city of Porto that I could find. I agree that this book came in useful, but after doing research on the internet about the city, I found that the book missed out on a lot of things to see and do. Especially when traveling with children. I suggest buying this book as there is no real alternative, but do make some research on the internet to plan your trip better.
on 6 September 2013
Have Thomas Cook Publishing ever actually looked at Lonely Planet or Berlitz guides to see how it should be done? less info and insight ,more about the historic buildings, which is important of course but the others cover that as well
on 11 February 2013
A good basic guide - which comes in a handy size for carrying around. There are some interesting points made in the book and some good suggestions for places to visit - pictures are OK - how does it compare with some others guides? Well the fact that I could actually get a book solely on Porto was a good starter - I do prefer some of the other more colourful books, but this was a good reasonably inexpensive book that will supplement any info you can find on the net..
on 12 April 2013
This is a great little guide which is easy to carry around with you which we found really useful whilst in Porto. Unfortunately it was in the rucksack we had stolen in Lisbon but we would buy it again if we go back to Porto.
on 5 May 2012
Absolutely perfect for planning our trip and will be useful when there. Delivered so fast it caught me by surprise
on 28 March 2013
I bought this as it was the only guide book on Porto I could find. However, I would recommend that you dont need it. The area is small enough to investigate yourself, and if you have vaguely helpful staff at your hotel, they will be able to recommend the best places to go, and provide you with a map! unfortunately due to its publish date being 2011, much of the information is out-dated, and unreliable. It was a useful guide prior to visiting, highlighting specific sites, but that was the only useful feature.
on 22 April 2013
you should not travel without it. There are so many pocket guides most of them with too much information that you dont have time to read. This one is clear, easy to read, full of essential information but accessible and readable. Highly recommended. I am thinking about buying another guide from the same editor for my next trip.