Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2013
Last year on holiday in Fuerteventura (oh so distant past) I devoured Shirley Conran's Lace in a matter of days. Wicked Ambition is, without a doubt, Lace for summer 2013. Seriously. I felt like I should be reading this book on a hot, sunny beach while sipping a mojito and not on a crowded bus in rainy, depressing London. Now magazine has branded the book '600 pages of sin' and they're not wrong. There's loads of treachery, sex, revenge, more sex, violence, sex and well... sex!

Having never read any of Victoria Fox's other novels, I didn't quite know what I was getting into with Wicked Ambition. All I knew was that the blurb sounded fun and like a much needed break from some of the more serious (aka depressing) stuff I've been reading, plus blogger friend Leah over at Chick Lit Reviews and News seemed pretty excited about it so I thought I couldn't go wrong.

Wicked Ambition is the stories of three women--Robin, Turqouise and Kristin--and is as much about the drama that comes with fame as the connections that tie them together. I really liked how Victoria wove in certain sub-charaters and situations that connected the women together without being overly (and painfully) obvious. The sex scenes, because how could you not talk about those, were written very well and without the cringe factor despite being pretty graphic. Like Lace, there's a little something for everyone here, minus the goldfish!

As a whole, the novel was like one of those guilty pleasure celebrity reality shows only sexier and a lot more dangerous and I found it really hard to put down! I kept wanting to read on a bit further, just one more chapter, until I found myself at the very explosive climax (ha ha) and satisfying (the puns are too easy) ending.

I love bonkbusters--they never pretend to be what they're not and they never fail to disappont. I'll be eagerly awaiting Victoria Fox's next novel... after I've read her back catalogue of course!
on 18 July 2013
Im not sure what books the reviewers of Wicked Ambition usually read but this book is terrible. The storyline is too far fetched and would never ever happen. I find Jax an absolute arse and could never imagine any athlete having his disgusting, degrading attitude! Turquoise De Luca's story is crazy, sexual abuse, prostituting, kidnap!? Very strange! The whole thing is just ridiculous!

If you want a good a book, i highly recommend Tasmina Perry Private Lives. Its brilliant! I read this before Wicked Ambition, that might be why i just cant get into this book!
on 24 May 2013
I downloaded this book onto my Kindle after running out of holiday reads. I bought this after it came up as a suggestion on Amazon as I'd previously bought books by Tilly Bagshawe and Tasmina Perry. This book is just terrible and after abandoing it once and going back to give it another chance, I've just given up altogether. The plots so far (roughly 30% of the way through) are laughable even by the standards of a traditional beach-read. The characters are so far-fetched they're totally unbelievable and unlikable. Turquoise's backstory is so graphic and disgusting that I just didn't want to read any more. The US hip-hop band's dialogue is just cringeworthy.

Buy a Tilly Bagshawe or Tasmina Perry if you want an over-the-top escapist beach novel. At least they consruct enjoyable plots and can write well. At the very least, this book needs a heavy edit as it's so badly written I had to keep flipping back to see who the writer was talking about.
on 28 May 2013
I am a fan of Victoria Fox's books, so was very excited to get stuck in to a new one. What I love about her is that the cast of characters are always so vibrant and hilarious and the world she creates is entertaining and colourful. Wicked Ambition didn't disappoint me. Once I picked it up I couldn't put it down - Turquoise's story had me hooked and I totally fell in love with Leon! Also love a bit of revenge! I found it thrilling and funny and recommend it to anyone who wants something better and more exciting than the usual girly rubbish, which I normally find too boring and predictable. This is naughty and racy and if you are a fan of this genre (or anything glitzy and over the top!) this will definitely keep you entertained.
on 19 August 2013
I had never read any books by Victoria Fox before and this was a great read. It's a sexy, fun, glamorous read that ticks pretty much all the boxes. It had plenty of likable & not so nice characters and a good plot to bring them all together. Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend it as an enjoyable holiday/chick lit book.
on 25 June 2013
Perfect fun chick lit and glamour, hard to put down. Great price as well. Fab beach or indeed bath read
on 19 August 2013
I haven't read a good bonk-buster for ages and it is clear that Victoria Fox is one of the best in this genre. Wicked Ambition oozes glamour with a sprinkling of sex and scandal.
The book revolves around three women, Robin, Turquoise and Kristin. They are all huge celebrities at the top of their game but it is their personal lives that threatens everything they have worked for. Robin had an awful start to life and has fought all the way for survival and success. She is used to crazy fans but this one stalker is different and when Robin comes face to face with them she is in for the shock of her life. Turquoise has a huge music career but her first foray into movies brings her past back to haunt her. All she wants to do is make things right but that will put everything she has in jeopardy. Kristin is one of America's sweethearts, a child-star who has grown into a young and inspirational woman. With a stage mother from hell, Kristin clings on to her boyfriend to provide the security and love that she craves. However, Scotty has his own secrets, secrets that will have devastating consequences for himself and those around him.
At 603 pages, Wicked Ambition is long but Victoria Fox keeps up a good pace throughout. The chapters are short and snappy as we delve into the glamorous but murky world of fame and fortune.
Wicked Ambition reminded me of some of the Jackie Collins books I have read. Yet I think that Victoria Fox is more current and her writing more engaging. Wicked Ambition would make the perfect summer read, once you start it you won't want to put it down.
on 19 August 2013
If you've never read a Victoria Fox novel before you are seriously missing out! They are always extremely well crafted, with in-depth storylines, well rounded characters and more action and saucy shenanigans than you can shake a stick at! Wicked Ambition is Fox's third novel and tells the tale of three hot Hollywood stars, their climb to the top, and the forces battling to bring them back down.

The Girls

*Robin Ryder is a strong, fiercely independent young Londoner, having succeeded against all the odds after being left in a park bin as a baby to becoming one of the biggest music superstars on the planet. However, not everyone is a fan of her rise to fame and ghosts of her life-that-could-have-been look set to destroy.

*Kristin White is America's squeaky clean pop machine - her and boyband heart-throb Scotty Valentine are the Britney and Justin of their day. However, at least one of them is lying about how they feel. And secrets never stay secret for long.

*Turquoise da Luca has conquered the charts and now looks set to conquer the movie industry too. But can she conquer the demons from her past life as an exploited, abandoned girl, forced into prostitution and implicated in a terrible crime?

Fox writes all three women extremely well. They are everything you want a heroine of a bonkbuster to be - strong, independent, witty, intelligent and most importantly, likeable. Kristin's naivety is slightly infuriating at times as you scream at her to recognise the obvious, however I suppose this all adds to the engagement with the book. This did mean however that I enjoyed Wicked Ambition slightly less than Fox's previous novel Temptation Island, which kept me on my toes and guessing at every turn.

The Guys

As well as writing excellent women, Fox also writes wonderful men (very important in a good bonkbuster!). The character of Leon Sway is one every reader will fall for - strong, dependable, charming and undeniably sexy! Jax Jackson, his track rival is that classic nightmare we all know and love - ridiculously good looking, but awfully arrogant and self centred! His attitude however does provide many laughs across the pages of the book, and again channels great reader engagement, as we laugh at his ridiculousness along with the other characters. Cosmo Angel is Wicked Ambition's evil entity and Fox writes him in a wonderfully dark way, so that he really does make your skin crawl as you read about his villainous acts and way he treats Turquoise throughout.

The Story

I always enjoy Victoria Fox's novels as they always go the extra mile, working a lot harder than the classic, simple straightforward plot of "girl meets guy, has lots of detailed sex, encounters an obstacle then ends up happily ever after". Wicked Ambition is a twisting, turning rollercoaster journey with the lives of the characters crossing paths and intermingling throughout, as well as providing lots of sub plots too.

The competitive rivalry between athletes Leon Sway and Jax Jackson is a compelling side story which rides alongside the events of the three leading ladies. This, and the mystery of who shot Leon's brother, also acts to give us a further insight into the character of the swoonsome Sway! The relationships between Scotty and his manager Fenton, and Kristin, her sister Bunny and mother Ramona also holds a mirror up to the darker side of being in the public eye - battling people's perceptions and preconceptions, and how life in the lime light can take its toll.

The indepth plot makes Wicked Ambition a real treat to read, and sets it apart from many other bonkbusters. The sex scenes also sizzle, and one in particular will forever make me think twice about buying gelato from an Italian street stand ever again! The front cover boasts the book is "600 pages of sin", and it's not wrong! particularly with the presence of depraved actor Cosmo Angel.

I'd def recommend a read of Wicked Ambition. It's perfect for summer time and an exciting look into the lives of the rich and famous.

emsypickle.blogspot.co.uk
on 11 June 2014
So disappointed with this book that I actually didn't bother reading parts of it and I normally enjoy this type of book. Jax Jackson as a character - really?!? A poor attempt to become the next Jackie Collins - won't be buying any more books by this author and just disappointed that I had to pay to read it :-/
on 21 July 2013
I've enjoyed previous books by this author, but Wicked Ambition reads like a book written fast with lots of nonsense with characters hard to like. To tell the truth, I couldn't even finish it. There's too many good books out there to waste time on this one.