Format: Paperback|Change

Although the title suggests that this is book 5 in The Iron Fey series, I can confirm (having read all of the books) that this book actually starts it's own little series of books and you could actually read this book without reading the previous ones if wished. I would however say that the previous books are fantastic and well worth a read (especially if you like Fantasy) and that there will be back parts to the story that when touched on in this book, would not make as much sense. I have included the reading order further below if this is of use to anyone reading this.

I have actually only just finished reading this book and the next two in the series as I read the last book in the first part of the series; The Iron Knight back in 2013 but I didn't want to start a new chapter in the lives of Meghan Chase and her brother Ethan as I was still so caught up in the first part and so I subsequently purposefully avoided reading this next part of the series until now. I can confirm that this next set of 3 books is fantastic and whilst I don't love Ethan Chase's character as much as his sister Meghan, the series and writing from the author is just as good and instantly drew me in.

There are no spoilers for this book in this review but there will be spoilers for the earlier books following now so please don't continue to read if you don't want any earlier spoilers.

This book starts a three book series within the original series for Meghan Chase's brother Ethan Chase. Ethan is now grown up although his experiences from when he was kidnapped by The Fey and the loss of his sister, Meghan as she left to become The Iron Queen of the Iron Fey, have definitely had an effect on his life. Ethan for all intents and purposes appears to be a troubled teen and has moved between several schools all on the face of it from his bad behaviour however the real reason for the fire at his last school and other mishaps isn't because Ethan is a troubled youth but because he has The Sight and can see Them. Them of course means The Fair Folk or Fairies or Fey as Ethan has been able to see them since he was little but the problem is that once they know he can see them and they work out that he is the brother of The Iron Queen, they won't leave him alone. Ethan tries to make them think he can't see them by ignoring them and he has the usual wards and protections set up around his home but he slips up at his new school and a Halfling (Half Human and Half Fey) and his Piskie work out who Ethan actually is.
Ethan soon runs into trouble with the discovery of The Forgotten who have very bad plans in mind for The Fey and so he and a plucky human girl called Kenzie, make the trip to The Nevernever to see The Iron Queen and to warn The Fey of the darkness coming. Can Ethan and Kenzie help to save The Fey despite Ethan hating them for stealing his sister and his childhood or are forces at work much bigger than anyone could have foreseen?.....

This is a brilliant start to the three books in the Call Of The Forgotten series and really had me gripped and invested in the outcomes of all of the characters involved right from the beginning. I love that a certain Cait sith (love him!) and Exiled Faery Queen make an appearance along with some other much loved and in my case very much missed characters and this is another fantastic book in The Iron Fey series but a great stand alone book and start to the Call Of The Forgotten books. I can confirm that the next two books really build on the storyline set here and that the books are well worth a read if you like this genre of books but are a must read if you are fans of the original first part of the series.

Just for clarification the reading order of the full The Iron Fey series is:-
The Iron Fey:-
Book 1: The Iron King (The Iron Fey - Book 1)
Short Story e-book: Winter's Passage (The Iron Fey short story)
Book 2: The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey - Book 2)
Book 3: The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey - Book 3)
Short Story e-book: Summer's Crossing (The Iron Fey short story)
Book 4: The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey Book 4)

The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten:-
Short Story e-book: Iron's Prophecy (Call Of The Forgotten prequel to The Lost Prince)
Book 1: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey - Book 5 / COTF Book 1)
Book 2: The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey - Book 6 / COTF Book 2
Book 3: The Iron Warrior (The Iron Fey - Book 7 / COTF Book 3)

Compilation of all e-books in paperback:-
The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey)
review image review image review image review image
on 29 May 2016
This is the first book in the Call of the Forgotten trilogy, but the fifth book in The Iron Fey series. I absolutely loved it!

Ethan Chase is a fantastic character. I really liked him when I first met him as a frightened four year old when he was kidnapped by The Iron King and taken into Faery. It is now thirteen years since his sister, Meghan, became Queen of the Iron Fey. Now seventeen, he does his best to ignore the fey that pester him and his family. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. When danger threatens, he finds himself in the one place he never wanted to visit again, Faery.

I have become addicted to this series. Having read Meghan's story, I was eager to read Ethan's. I started reading this book as soon as I had finished reading The Iron Knight.

Ethan has not had an easy childhood, as he has the sight and can still see the fey. Due to this, they have made his life miserable. In order to protect his family and any friends, he pushes everyone away with a prickly exterior. This hides his intense loneliness and my heart ached for him. One person who seems to see through his prickly exterior is Mackenzie. Oops! I mean Kenzie - I don't want her to slug me. She is also a wonderful character. She is extremely brave, though she has secrets of her own and I enjoyed getting to know her better.

I also enjoyed meeting the Cait Sith, Grimalkin again, as well as Puck, Meghan, Ash and Leanansidhe, the Exile Queen. The reader is also introduced to some new characters, though one was introduced in The Iron Queen called Razor. He's a gremlin and he's quite taken with pretty girls, especially Kenzie. Keirran is a surprise. I like this impetuous character, but wanted to smack him upside his head for involving Ethan in his harebrained scheme. Okay, he's in love and desperate, but to hide his identity from his uncle was unforgivable in my eyes.

This story is full of action, adventure, danger and romance. I love the interaction between the characters. There is the witty dialogue between the characters that I have come to expect, and the vivid storytelling brought this book to life. I could picture the scenes in my minds eye with ease. In fact, I didn't feel like I was reading at all but watching a movie. As the story unfolded I found myself on a roller coaster ride of emotion, as well as sitting on the edge of my seat more often than not. I love how Ethan grows as a character throughout the tale and I can't wait to read The Iron Traitor as soon as I can.

Julie Kagawa has written a fantastic Young Adult series. I love her writing style, which is fast paced and exciting. The flow was also wonderful, as each scene moved effortlessly into the next. She has found a firm fan in me and I will definitely be reading more of her books in the future.

Although there are no scenes of a sensual nature, there are scenes that are violent or a little gory. Therefore, I do not recommend this to readers under 15. However, I highly recommend this book if you love YA fantasy or paranormal romances. - Lynn Worton
on 23 October 2012
We have all been here. There is a series of books that you just fall in love with, they ended so perfectly that you would never imagine the author going back into that world and disrupting what has already been a wonderful ride. Then one day out of the blue you see it, the confirmation that the author is doing just that. They are messing with your series! How can this be? What will happen now? NoooOOOooo I forbid it to happen!

Then you actually stop and think about it... The original series was so awesome how can the author mess it up that badly? And at the very least we may get to see some of our favorite characters again. hhhmmm... maybe this isn't such a bad idea after all.

Well those of you who have read and loved The Iron Fey series, you can rest assured. Kagawa has done an immaculate job with The Lost Price. It has everything that a good spin-off book needs in order for it to be remarkable and worthy of the love you have for the original series. There are great new characters and just enough 'page time' with the old ones to satisfy that craving.

The Lost Prince follows Ethan, Meghan's half brother. To be honest it is only fitting that everything should be ending with Ethan seeing how it was him being kidnapped in The Iron King that started Meghan off on her original journey. Ethan is human and at first you think, what could be so interesting about him to deserve an entire spin-off? Well Ethan has always had the Sight. He can see the fey around him and they have never left him alone his entire life. So although he is no part fey he is still very much tied to their world. I really felt for Ethan and the understandable torment that he has gone through over the years. His thoughts and actions are exactly how I would think a teen would react in certain situations and it was refreshing to read something that seemed so authentic in such a magical and unauthentic setting as the Nevernever. In other words I believed what I was reading. He is harsh, angry and sick and tired of everything fey and to be honest I would be also if I were him!

I have to say that for a moment I was in fear that there was going to be a love triangle but thankfully that did not happen. It is not that I hate the love triangle but it was such a large part of the original series and I just did not want to see that storyline again. But as I said it doesn't appear that will be happening so that made me very happy.

Because I felt the characters were so real and believable it made me instantly fall in love with them. I understood the decisions that they made and never really had the 'book thrown at the wall' kinda feeling that I sometimes get when silly decisions are made that I can not comprehend. We also get to see our fair share of old characters and all I can say is that I am so glad that I was alone at one point. When Puck showed up I honestly did a 'whoop' and fist pumped the air a few times, I was that excited. What can I say; I absolutely love everything about Puck!

So as you can tell I really enjoyed The Lost Prince and I am so excited to have another book in this series to look forward to. Kagawa has already titled the next book, The Traitor Son and as of right now it is listed as being published in September 2013. I know that is a long time to wait but I promise you it should be worth the wait. Do not hesitate at all to pick up this book because I really do think you will enjoy it if you liked The Iron Fey at all. There was so much action and it was lovely to have the story continued... I sound like such a fan girl but it is hard not to gush when you just liked something so much.

Christine
Rainy Day Reads

Note: I was given an ARC copy of this novel directly from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2013
Julie Kagawa, in all her greatness, has given us a spin-off series from the Iron Fey series. Remember Meghan Chase having to rescue her baby brother Ethan from the NeverNever way back when? Well now he's 17, brooding and not a fan of the fey. Infact, he's pretty annoyed that the Fey (mostly, Prince Ash, Meghan's love interest) have managed to make Meghan desert her family for good. Or at least that's his opinion of things, we all know better.

Before I tell you why you absolutely must read this book, make sure you check out the short Novella Kagawa has written that acts as a prequel to this book (Iron's Prophecy). If you don't have an e-reader though don't dispair because Kagawa has now put all three of her Novella's into a paperback book so check that out if you haven't already.

Now, on with the show. I was skeptical of Ethan Chase as a leading character before starting this book. Which I think is only natural because we're all used to him being a toddler with little about him. But actually, he's a good leading character. He's very bitter about Meghan not being around, and about the Fey as a whole because of that, which makes for fun reading. He's also got a great "voice". Kagawa has made him an interesting narrator for us that I actually grew to like. His dislike of the Fey, and avoidance of them, is apparent from the start by way of his being expelled from numerous schools due to his poor behaviour - which we of course know to be numerous run-in's with the pesky fey. I don't know about you, but Piskies and Goblins sprang to mind for me!

There are additional characters of course, Kenzie being the most apparent. Kenzie is the token pretty love interest of the story but she's interesting in her own right and has quite a story herself which I wasn't expecting. What you all really want to know is, what about the characters from before that we loved? Are they still in it? Well yes. Ethan is, through a series of unfortunate events, ended up in the NeverNever again partly in the hopes to rescue a friend. Whilst there, Grimalkin is the first we see. Oh and is he as brilliant as ever. Grimalkin the talking, mischevious cat acts as a sort of tour guide for a little while. Meghan, Ash, Glitch, Puck, Razor and Leanansidhe all have appearances too (some larger than others).

Do you need to have read the Iron Fey series to appreciate this one? That's difficult because you could read this book and have a perfect idea of what's going on because it's essentially just a rescue mission. BUT, if you ever wanted to read the previous series (because you like the Kagawa writes for instance) then there an awful lot of spoilers. Additionally, it adds a little bit of fun and it's quite sweet to see all of the previous characters and how they're getting on. Basically, why not read the previous series first!

I was very impressed with this book. I expected it to fall flat in comparison to the previous series but I'm already excited to find out what happens in the next books. I definitely recommend this book so get yourself a copy pronto!
on 25 October 2013
After finishing the Iron Fey books I had a void in my reading life. I was convinced that nothing would match the other books but this book continues the story so seamlessly and with all the imagination of the other books. I just love the world the characters live in, and this book has not disappointed in anyway! Its fantastic how the world has been kept the same but we now have a different hero and adventure to follow.
on 8 November 2012
If you loved Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series following Meghan, and were feeling a little sad to have reached the end of the series (they need to invent a term for when you get withdrawal symptoms for your favourite books as for me it is a common ailment)... fear not the world of the Fey is back in all of its colourful, if slightly twisted glory!

This time it is told from the point of view of Ethan, Meghan's little brother (if you have read the previous series, Ethan was the little 4 year old boy who started Meghan's adventure). Ethan has grown up into a sullen and resentful teen, shaped by his life of trying to avoid the Fey that only he can see. Despite being a bit of a whiny child at times (especially when he is reunited with his sister for the first time in years) you can understand why he acts the way he does, and can't help but love that he still tries to protect everyone. Kenzie, the lead female character and love interest for Ethan, is a feisty and stubborn girl who you can easily empathise with... hopefully the relationship between the two will develop more in future books.

The only flaw for me is that there wasn't nearly enough Ash... which I guess is right as it's not his story, but still I miss his snarky comments and attitude. However, you may be happy to know that Puck appears twice within the journey for brief fighting genius, and Grimalkin, one of the best characters ever to be written who is also a cat (well technically a cait sith), takes over his trusted role as guide through the trods of the NeverNever and is featured a lot in this story.

In summary, if you read and enjoyed the previous Iron Fey series, buy this book as you will love it. If you haven't read the previous series... Why on earth not - go read it now. While you technically could read this book on its own as most of the world is described, there are so many references to the other characters that you will not enjoy it half as much, so I strongly suggest reading them first. The reading order for the other series is:
1. The Iron King
1.5 Winters passage (a short novella in between books 1 & 2 - while not necessary I would definitely recommend reading)
2. The Iron Daughter
3. The Iron Queen
3.5 Summers crossing (another novella - didn't really add much to the story, but worth reading for more time with Ash and Puck)
4. The Iron Knight (possibly my favourite book as it is from Ash's POV.... swoon!)
4.5 Iron's prophecy (novella that leads into the Lost Prince)

(All of them are available together The Iron Legends (Iron Fey (Quality))
on 30 January 2013
I have read this whole series and have really enjoyed it - I was really pleased to find that there was another book in the series and it was good to revisit characters, I really enjoyed.

If you havent read the other books in this series, then I would highly recommend you doing so before starting this book, as I think you could possibly get very lost.

The story itself was excellent - lots going on and was new ground for the series, it was a great balance between the old and new.

The only reason why it got 4 stars instead of 5, is because the ending was quite unsatisfying as it was very much a led up to the next book. I wont go into too much detail as it involves spoilers. Having said that, most of Julis Kagwa books end in the same way. So if you like the author you will be use to it.

All in all though a really good read - just need the next book sharpish!!
on 20 December 2012
I have a confession to make; this is the first Iron Fey book I have read. I own the first book in the original series but just haven't got round to reading it yet, but as I had an ARC of The Lost Prince I thought I would start my Iron Fey journey there. Despite being a spinoff of another series this was easy to follow and didn't require me to read the original books in order to understand this one.

I was expecting quite a lot from this, Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules was one of my books of 2012. The Lost Prince could not have been more different, it was not what I was expecting but I wasn't disappointed and for the most part I enjoyed it.
Julie Kagawa writes with such an easy style. It is not hard to get sucked into the worlds she creates. I loved the fey, the descriptions of them and their homes really came alive for me. I thought the storyline was interesting and engaging and it kept my interest all the way through.

Most of the characters were awesome. Kenzie took some time to grow on me but by the mid-way point I really liked her. She was brave and fierce and everything you want in a leading lady. Kierren was another character I adored. From the moment he appeared I was more than a little taken by him.

The main problem was Ethan. He took brooding to another level. He is an expert on throwing pity parties. There were times where I couldn't blame him, I would be angry with my sister and the fey if I was him to, but sometimes I wanted to tell him to man up.

I did have a few other problems. I felt that too many things were left hanging at the end and that it was maybe a little too predictable, but other than that I really enjoyed this and look forward to the next book in the series.
on 2 November 2012
Loved, loved, loved this! I fan girl screamed when I got approved to review this on Netgalley. It was great seeing everything from Ethan's perspective and just as great seeing what had become of Meghan and Ash in the years that they've been in the Iron Realm.

The Lost Prince doesn't just revisit the ordinary Fey and the Iron Fey but also draws on the Forgotten Fey that were mentioned in The Iron Knight, something I was very intrigued about at the time. The plot unravels pretty fast and I was reading furiously fast towards the end of the book just to find out what happens.
Ethan proved to be a charming, infuriating, fascinating (and hot) protagonist and when teamed with the 'take no crap' Kenzie, they made a great team and though I did suspect that there was something Kenzie was hiding from the beginning, I was still surprised when I found out what it was.
I was also left feeling deeply sorry for Ethan with everything he had gone through because of his ability to see the Fey and try as he might to avoid them he ends up smack in the middle of trouble all over again. I also however, admire how resilient he is without ever truly losing touch with his emotions...oddly enough he reminded me of a certain Winter Prince from the Iron Fey series. :)

This review wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention Keirran...if you don't remember the echoes of that name from The Iron Knight from when Ash was being tested then it will certainly mean something to you by the end of the book. As for what he does and what happens to him, I guess that will have to wait until the next book.

Speaking of the end of the book, I was pretty much screaming in frustration that I have to wait ages for the next book. But hey, I'm sure It'll be worth the wait and I can't wait to find out what happens to everyone. I can't write with much more detail because I don't want to spoil anything. But Iron Fey fans: Go forth and read this when it's released! Also, Grimalkin is in it and Puck!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much so that I read the entire book in one sitting!

Ethan, Meghan's half brother who has the 'Sight' has been trying to stop seeing The Fae all his life but with little success. He has been expelled from school after school for supposedly arson and carrying a knife. He is now at a new school where he suddenly finds there is also a half breed at the school by the name of Todd. He keeps trying to talk to Ethan but he won't respond. It's not until Todd goes missing and Ethan sees some horrible Fae creatures lurking around that he finally accepts he must ask his half sister Meghan, the Queen of the Iron Court to help him. Meanwhile, he is also being hounded by a pretty girl called Kenzie who is not put off by his bluff and rude manner. He doesn't want anything to do with her because he knows that anyone close to him can be hurt by the Fae.

After Todd goes missing, Ethan goes into the park where there used to be lots of Fae but now there are hardly any. He finds one Dryad called Annwyl who tells him that all the half breeds and exiles are just disappearing.

In despair, he goes home and takes from his drawer a letter from Meghan and a charm that will enable him to get into the Nevernever again. He doesn't want to use it but when he and Kenzie are threatened he does and they end up in the Wyldwood. Of course Grimalkin turns up and takes them to the Iron Court where he meets his half Sister again after many years. What he doesn't know is that he is now an Uncle to Kierran who is Meghan and Ash's son. Meghan invites Ethan and Kenzie to stay at the Palace whilst she finds out who or what is taking the half breeds and exiles. Feeling trapped and with no seeming way out of the Palace Ethan starts to fume......suddenly at the window a Faery appears and offers to help Ethan and Kenzie get back to our world. This is an offer he can't refuse so with Kierran as yet unknown to Ethan as family and Kenzie, they all escape.

Oddly Kenzie seems to accept the Nevernever without question (there is a reason for this but it would be a huge spoiler). Ethan finds that his defences are coming down around Kenzie something he promised he would never let happen after what happened to Samantha.

They end up after several fights with Goblins and the unknown nasty looking Fae back at Leanansidhe's exiled Court. Here, Kenzie offers a month of her life for the 'Sight'. Ethan is horrified as he knows that Faery bargains aren't always what they seem.

They get back to our world so that Kenzie can search the web for anomalies in Central Park which used to be full of exiled Faeries and half breeds. She finds a huge cave under the park so they head back to see if they can find the cave. They find it but where has Kierran gone? Annwyl who is obviously his girlfriend is terrified something has happened to him so they head towards the cave only to be attacked by the weird cat like Fae. Ethan has also been to see his Kali guru to tell him the story and is presented with two beautiful swords to help him kill these rogues.

The ending came rather abruptly so I suspect that there is another book in the offing....will the prohecy come true and what will become of Kenzie?

I like Julie Kagawa's style of writing and she certainly knows a fair amount about the Sidhe.

If you liked the first books, you'll like this one too.