Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 February 2013
I thought the pacing of this novel was really good, it was fast paced and action packed. It kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole novel. There was a lot going on in the novel, from the immediate action with our main characters to the political conflict and scheming that was occurring in the background.
I thought the characters in this novel were ok, but nothing more, I didn't feel emotionally attached to any of the characters, I wasn't bothered by what happened to them at all. This being said, the novel was still really good and it didn't dampen my enjoyment of the story much.
There was some romance being kindled between two of the characters but that seemed real, it wasn't your typical YA insta-love, it had a background to it. The relationships between the other characters were good, there were some complicated ones that the reader only got to the bottom of later in the novel.
I liked the villains in this novel, they were complicated, and some seemed less evil than others, and some seemed good until the end!
I thought the novel was well written, the descriptions used by the author were good, the world seemed real to me. I thought the authors world building was also great, it was a kind of medieval world, but also modern at the same time. I also loved the magical/power elements that featured in this novel. I thought that was a really good idea that the author pulled off well, it added another dimension to the novel.
Overall I thought this was a really good first novel in the trilogy, with the right amount of powers and action to keep me happy!
on 1 June 2017
From page one! Hooked for the whole trilogy. Great villains, strong story line, lovable heroine and honourable heroic band. Enough magic without overwhelming the plot and I for one would welcome a sequel...
on 18 January 2015
This is another imaginative series from Maria V. Snyder and it doesn't dissapoint. In this story there are 15 realms which are now in disarray following a plague that wiped out two thirds of the population. The healers were blamed for starting the plague resulting in their demise and now only one remains and that is Avery of the realm of Kazan. After years on the run she is finally caught and about to face execution when she is rescued by a band of men who need her to heal their leader; and so begins the adventure.
on 10 May 2017
Really enjoyed this book, lots going on so changes one minute to the next really draws you in with the characters and their history and beliefs enhancing their mission. Looking forward to the next book in the series
on 13 June 2017
Enjoyed the book, like the author will read book two, great for holiday as filled with action, bit of romance and not too deep
on 8 June 2017
Kerrick and his friends had rescued Aver from jail because she was the last healer a live and soon she would end in her death.
on 24 July 2017
This book had me on edge the entire time.
I fell for every character that came and went. Well all but one and if you've read it to. I'm sure you'll love certain characters and hate others. At least give it a try and I promise you'll enjoy it.
on 20 March 2017
Great seller, item as described!
on 22 January 2016
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next one to see what happens to Avry she's amazing.
on 12 June 2017