Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 December 2011
First of all, please remember this was originally published in 1992, these 'reissues' with trendy covers may mislead new fans of Diane. That said, i cannot recommend this trilogy enough, please read them in the correct order or you you spoil your fun. I actually prefer Dianes older titles than some of her new ones : its like she put more effort and detail into the story lines. There are so many golden nuggets in this trilogy, twists & turns and undiscovered threads, brilliant!
22 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2011
I am absolutaly loving Diana Chamberlain. Having now read most of her books, I don't find her to be repetative like most authors. Keeper of the light is full of twists and turns and characters who take you by surprise. I would certainly recommend to anyone who wants a good read.
on 5 January 2012
While Olivia is working in ER a gunshot victim comes in who unfortunately as hard as Olivia tries cannot be saved. It is Annie O'Neill, the woman Olivia's husband Paul is in love with. Unable to cope with Paul's grief over losing Annie, Olivia and her husband separate. Circumstances prevail and Olivia finds herself stepping into the shoes of the wonderful Annie who everybody loved, even to the point of befriending Annie's bereaved husband and daughter.
As with all of Diane Chamberlain's books she manages so well to get straight to the heart of the matter, especially when writing about family complexities.
An excellent read.
This is the first book in a trilogy, it is followed by Kiss River and Her Mothers Shadow. This is one of Diane Chamberlains older books, now re-released with a more modern cover. From the first page of Keeper of the light I was hooked. As usual DC manages to fill her book with emotion, and her characters seem to spring to life. I did not Really care for "saint Annie", or Paul, I felt they hurt so many people in their life's not caring about the consequences of their actions. There are plenty of twists and turns along the way, which keep the reader intrigued, as to how it will all end.If you have never read a Diane Chamberlain book, I suggest you pick one up, you will not be disappointed. Well worth a read, now looking forward to starting on kiss River.
on 17 April 2012
Took this book on holiday and found it really enjoyable. Often hooked and unable to put it down. It is an easy read, which is not meant as a criticism, where the plot is fairly transparent but the characters are interesting and I cared about what happened to them. Overall it was very good, I wasn't aware of Diane Chamberlain before but I'll certainly read more of her work.
on 3 August 2012
I won't recount the story. Others have already done that. I will say that this is a story with twists and turns that keep it moving along but the characters ? My goodness how annoying and pathetic was Olivia and her obsessed husband Paul ! I wanted to put them in a sack and shake them up. They spoilt it for me because I could not envision a wife so uneffective as Olivia and yet we were to believe she was this fabulous Emergency room doctor. It just didn't tally with me at all. Her husband Paul was equally annoying but as I learnt more about him I could understand and accept it and that was the difference.
I have since found out that this is an older book and part of a trilogy. This first book however does not make me want to continue with another.
on 21 January 2017
Love all Diane's books, some of them more than others but this is up there along with my favourites. An absolute fantastic read, hard to put down and you get involved with all the characters and soon begin to get involved with them.

This is the first one in a Trilogy and I am looking forward to reading the next two which are already waiting on my Kindle.

Can thoroughly recommend, you will not be disappointed.
on 27 May 2014
I made the mistake of reading this straight after Necessary Lies, which set a precedent that this book just didn't follow. But I understand this is one of her earlier books written some years previously, which explains a lot. I found it too long with too many long pages of pointless scenes, too detailed dialogue - almost like reading a blow by blow account of someone cooking dinner. Unlike a previous reviewer I had the opposite issue with Olivia and Paul - I could relate to Olivia, but Paul was just plain irritating and selfish, despite later revelations that explain his actions. I also found some of the other relationships unrealistic, and dare I say it, one of the sex scenes was just too long and detailed for me. I only finished it to pas the time on a long journey. Very disappointing.
on 11 March 2012
Had never read Diane Chamberlain but had been recommended to read Confessions of a Midwife but tried this one out first and i must admit i could not put it down - so entralling from start to finish and did not have your normal finish either it kept you on the edge of your seat all the way through.
on 17 December 2016
Enjoyable read BUT the publisher really needs to get their act together. Really poor formatting and so many conversations were hard to follow as the text appeared on the same line as the previous speaker so it looked as if it belonged to the wrong person.