on 8 October 2017
Always liked Richard Eyre, so reading these interviews is almost as good as seeing the original programmes from which they're recorded.
on 3 December 2012
My husband bought me this for Christmas because I made him, after he borrowed the library book for me and I read it through 3 times. Richard Eyre has met pretty much everyone, and in fact in the space of the first reading I got killer quotations for 2 separate essays!
I appreciate the point about Brecht and Beckett but, let's face it, European theatre would be very different without them, and Kenneth Tynan's views (in the Chapter, Bert and Sam, are as trenchant as ever.)
It's actually an extraordinarily good read just as straight journalism, whether you're terrifically interested in theatre or not. Personally, I'm heading for obsession, and can't wait for Christmas so i can curl up with Richard Eyre all over again.
on 25 September 2013
This is a very interesting book consisting of interviews with many of our theatres luminaries including Peter Hall and Trevor Nunn.
Very enjoyable for those who truly understand the nature of professional theatre but also useful for the amateurs who take their hobby seriously.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2011
Ok, I admit it, theatre is a passion of mine. I would rather read a play or a book about theatre than a novel most of the time. This book was a surprise birthday gift and a very welcome one at that.

Eyre has assembled a series of interviews he carried out (for a TV documentary series over a decade ago) into a verbatim history of theatre in the 20th Century. Necessarily it is a very personal journey through this vast topic and clearly represents those forms that Eyre is particularly drawn towards.

Where it is most successful, it offers some fascinating insights (and gossip) and really captures the voices and spirit of the contributors. Where it starts to drag is in some rather repetitive questioning - which whilst necessary for preparing the documentary (where you can edit) it is rather tiring to see the same points about Brecht and Beckett being raised time after time.

This is definitely a book I will return to and suspect many others will enjoy it too.
on 1 February 2014
This is a superb book and can be read at ease on short chapters in any order which is great. It is like a contemporary history of theatre history and gives a wonderful range of insights, thoughts, ideas and opinions on plays, actors, styles and genres and avoids all the personal guff. It is a theatre person's read any is exceptionally enjoyable. I loved it.
on 12 April 2014
This is an excellent insight into the thoughts of most of the great names in 20th century drama. A must read for anyone with an interest in any aspect of contemporary theatre.
on 26 March 2013
Started reading this as soon as I got it and it is very interesting but I wish the print was bigger! I'm 50 and my prescription reading glasses vary. If only it was on Kindle? Still it was a good price and has a lot of content in it. I'll stick with it cause it's right up my street.
on 27 July 2016
fun reads for theatre geeks
on 12 March 2015
As someone who enjoys going to the theatre to see a show I thought this book was going to be about how shows work and a look behind the backdrop. It's not.
It's about Theatre with a capital T. Interesting enough but for me a bit condescending and indicated the sort of theatre I enjoy isn't worth thinking or writing about.