Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 January 2012
I'd heard many testimonials to Allen Carr's books on smoking and losing weight, about how remarkably effective they were. Now I don't smoke and don't want to lose weight, but - like most people - I occasionally worry a bit too much, so I thought I'd give this a go. What a con.

Save your money, simply read this old poem:

In this life there are only two things to worry about.
Either you will be rich or poor.

If you are rich, there is nothing to worry about.
But if you are poor, there are only two things to worry about.

Either you will be healthy or sick.
If you are healthy, there is nothing to worry about.

But if you are sick, there are two things to worry about.
Either you will live or you will die.

If you live, there is nothing to worry about.
If you die there are only two things to worry about.

You will either go to heaven or to hell.
If you go to heaven, there will be nothing to worry about.

If you go to hell, you'll be so darn busy shaking hands with all your friends,
you won't have time to worry!

SO WHY WORRY?

And then sing this old song:

What's the use of worrying?
It never was worth while, so
Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag,
And smile, smile, smile.

That's it - the entire contents of this piece of self-help profundity, in a nutshell. Hopefully I've saved some of you a few quid. That's one less thing to worry about.
77 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2013
Interesting read
gave pointers to what I should be doing
Showed me I'm not alone
Book I will pick up again
on 6 May 2014
I won’t bother typing up a long, drawn out review for this book since given its short size (at only 128 pages) it doesn’t need a long review.

I brought this book recently due to having a great number of things that were worrying me and needing some better insight. I already have a copy of Dale Carnegie’s ‘How to Stop Worrying and Start Living’ but found it wasn’t quite ‘cutting the mustard’. Although my worries aren’t entirely gone I have found Alan Carr’s book to be very helpful in gaining a more realistic and useful perspective into my problems.

A previous reviewer on here has described it as a book of ‘platitudes’. Although I wouldn’t use the word ‘platitudes’ (since that usually means meaningless or trite) it is a collection of short comments and meaningful remarks from Mr Carr on the subject of worry.
If you’re hoping for a step by step guide on how to overcome worry or an in-depth analysis on the subject you will be sorely disappointed. This is basically a short, little book with pages and pages of brief comments on Alan’s thoughts on worry and how best to look at it. If you’re hoping for the former then don’t waste your money.

Personally I did find this to be most helpful even if it isn’t a worry eraser (which if one is realistic just isn’t possible). However this won’t be for everyone so take note of the ‘Look Inside’ function which Amazon very kindly provides before making up your mind.

Either way don’t worry, you’ll find something that’ll help; even if it isn’t in this book.
on 15 June 2016
Liked the short and user friendly aspect of this book. Was brief and emphasised the concept that changing your patterns of thought does not necessarily have to be laborious and painful to execute real change.
on 20 August 2013
This book will provide some comfort or not in its direct honesty, if not maybe a little brief, in comparison
to some of his other books I've read. I have to say in my wn experience that there is no choice not to worry and
the only solution is to deal with the thing you are worrying about. If its a Television licence threat then get it paid or
better still, sell your Tv or smash it up with a big hammer. If its impending war then be careful who you vote for in future.
on 2 March 2014
This book does exactly what it says.I was always a worrier but reading this has really helped me and it only took me half a day to read it.
on 3 December 2015
Very simple reading and a very logical message, but sometimes it is worth having the obvious pointed out in a simple clear way.
on 15 June 2013
Not really a bad book but it's nothing special just tells you not to worry? No secrets to it just blar blar blar.
on 5 July 2013
The wisdom you come to expect from Allen Carr
A little on the short side but makes it easy to read
on 10 January 2011
not to sure about this, common sense should be the title ~ no huge revelations but still helps to regroup your thoughts when things get jumbled.