Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 February 2016
Still working my way through this one. I like Rough Guides in general but these days I think the ordering of the book needs to take into account the amount of research you can get online. I find the navigations slightly tiresome. I could really use more on highlights for each area and almost profiling highlights by type of traveller rather than having to wade through the whole book. It also has a slightly scornful and arrogant feel to you which I didn't mind as a single traveller but now having young children, I've found the accent on worthy museums and architecture and joking views of things for families a bit disappointing. perhaps they've not changed, I have. Still looking for a good book on travelling with families.
on 1 February 2014
A brilliant compendium and was used almost daily. I felt as though the text was a bit small.....could just be my old eyes. I would recommend this book for anyone travelling to California for the first time.
on 29 August 2011
Arrived promptly, wish we'd bought it earlier. Great information for travelling around California. Maps of cities are good and information helpful with advice of places to visit and what to do.
on 9 March 2015
I used this book for planning a one-month trip to San Francisco, Yosemite and nothern California, and carried it around while we were there. Generally useful and up-to-date, the only complaint I have is that it failed stress sufficiently the dire quality of food available in Yosemite and accordingly it might be better to stay outside the park, if only for that reason. Otherwise, I found much helpful advice in all sections of the book, and it contributed to the success of our trip.
on 24 July 2013
This book gives a very superficial overview of places in California. We stayed in San Francisco, Yosemite and Monterey and made much more use of more specific books on each area (Time Out SF, DK California and RG Yosemite). OK for getting a feel for each area but not enough detail to be of use by itself.
on 27 December 2011
As usual Rough Guides never let you down and tell things as they are. Hopefully we're going to plan a trip there for October.
on 1 March 2012
This guide covers too big an area to be really useful to either the short or long stay visitor. It has no info at all about hiring or touring in a campervan/motorhome - not a word! And like most Rough Guides it is a bit sniffy about everything. Have also bought Lonely Planet guide which is a bit better but also not great. Although Rough Guides have been useful for Spain and Italy, this one wasn't particularly - it's okay on big cities SF and LA though.
on 27 October 2011
This is the third edition of this title that I have bought. For newcomers to California the guide offers an excellent range of information, however, I don't find the restaurant guides as useful as they used to be.
on 6 October 2013
The book is just what we need to plan a trip to California. It will be well thumbed! A second hand one it seems to be in very good ocndition and we will make good use of everything it suggests
on 30 July 2013
As a fan of the 'Rough Guides' this did not disappoint. Very easy to understand, with lots of hints and tips to help plan a holiday.