Customer reviews

The Rough Guide to Scotland
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 19 December 2012
After buying the Rough Guide to Scotland I used it to plan a two week holiday to Glasgow, Lanark, Stirling, Perth and the Pitlochry area. Some of these places I have visited before and some many years ago. We stayed in New Lanark for part of the holiday -well worth a visit -World Heritage site. The guide gave comprehensive information on the site -coupled with my own Internet searches (of course). We used the Guide to plan a couple of park and ride (from Carluke) train trips into Glasgow
I planned various possible attractions to visit -such as the Lighthouse and the Willows tea room and the science park by the Clyde. I also used it to plan river walks and shopping!
I marked the sites on a pop up map of Glasgow and then left the book in New Lanark to save weight. I had enough information in my head by then.
I used the book to check on some of my favourite locations near Pitlochry like the Falls of Bruar and the Killicrankie walk
I had the previous edition of the Rough Guide to Scotland -but I always like to have the latest edition of any guide book.
For me I found the book well laid out and easy to navigate around at a reasonable price. It certainly helped with holiday and -as we go to Scotland each year - it will help me to plan future holidays.
So a very handy reference book
on 30 December 2005
I had this book and a Lonely Planet for a week long trip around Scotland. I mostly booked accommodation from this book and it was all great. I found the Lonely planet to have many inaccuracies whereas the Rough Guide was more comprehensive with more description, opinions and history. By the end of the week this was the only book we had in the car with us.
on 15 September 2012
People tend to be Rough Guide or Lonely Planet buyers. I am a RG buyer and am normally very happy. However I bought this plus the Highlands and Islands version which, are exactly the same when dealing with the same areas/ towns.....I thought they may be more detailed as the H&L version is about a smaller area. I have also recently returned from my trip to Scotland and have to say the places I visited were virtually unrecognisable from the authors descriptions- many of which were rather negative, eg calling Glen Shee in summer "rather sad" I thought was ridiculous- the whole area was fabulous. I also think they did not really bust a gut in providing good information on accomodation and restaurants eg Ballater is a frequent tourist stop and the accomodation and restaurants do not change hands that often- a bit more effort on good ones to go to would be useful rather than going on about the fact that some (well I only saw 2) shops had the by royal appointment insignia on them.
on 3 May 1999
I would thoroughly recommend this book for anyone travelling to Scotland. It covers all major cities and has a real understanding of off the beaten track places, that are so often missed by the major guides. From Loch Tummel in the Highlands to the Barralands in Glasgow, the Guide has it all.
on 20 September 2013
Excellent Guide- for both food and beer and useful maps. We have just used ours extensively touring the West, North and East coasts of Scotland, and now again in Pitlochry and Perthshire. Have to realize that the guide gives best for the area and some places [eg Edinburgh!] will obviously have more choice. We can recommend 'Smidge' for repelling the midges!!.
on 5 April 2013
Very useful guide. Bought when accompanying (by car) my son on sponsored bike ride from Land's End to John o'Groats via mainland compass points - Lizard, Lowestoft, Adnamurchan Point and Dunnet Head. Had a little more time than trhough England but still used the guide to tell me what I'd just missed. Will have to go back again later. Excellent. Thanks.
on 23 April 2013
Bought it for my granny for her trip over to bonny scotland, it had a great amount of detail on most cities, although it was fairly negative about some of them, Dundee in particular (where I live) really doesn't have much going for it according to the guide, which is a bit of a shame, but overall the book seems good and very informative
on 31 August 1999
A thoroughly recommended reference; proved very useful to me in recent trips to both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Since returning I have taken the time to read the other chapters, such is the quality of writing on each region of the country. Section on Edinburgh is particularly good for choosing what to see and what not to when staying for only a short time. As with all Rough Guides, the social, cultural and historical background is excellent, although the book's near obsession with awful commercial Gaelic rock group Runrig proves a little tiresome! This a tiny niggle to what was the only book I needed on holiday this summer.
on 5 March 2013
Very informative book with lots of details and maps. Has already been useful and not taken our holiday yet. Will update once have taken holiday
on 12 October 2012
I found this book to be very comprehensive, as there were very few places that were omitted. Certainly a must for any traveller in Scotland.