Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 8 September 2014
A poor imitation of a rough guide. I read reviews stating that the earlier edition was sketchy and unhelpful but hoped this latest edition would have taken these concerns on board. In my view it hadn't. The descriptions of some of the places were clearly based on much earlier visits - one small resort was seriously derelict with squatters occupying some key buildings on our visit but this was not mentioned. Comments are often banal such as stating that the place is lively in summer but quiet out of season or that a church has a fine façade. Much of it could have been written using a combination of Google Street View and a lively imagination. Considering that one only buys these overpriced regional guides because the area can't be covered in enough detail in a full national guide, one would expect full coverage of any place of interest, but so often reasonably large places were simply not mentioned or mentioned in passing only.
on 30 March 2016
I have only given three stars because I actually find this type of reference book difficult to use in Kindle format. The content is as good as all the other rough guides. In future I shall buy a paperback.
I like to be able to flick through the pages and pick out the bits that I want but in Kindle this is much more difficult.
on 7 November 2016
Comprehensive, thorough & well written travelling guide. A useful book to have.
on 11 October 2013
I really resent having to pay nearly full price for a kindle edition of a guide book when the maps don't work at all. I love my kindle because it is lighter than taking loads of books and good for reading in sunlight but seriously people sort out the maps, layout and photos or charge a lot less for your guide books.
on 29 September 2015
I was a bit disappointed in the quality - I always chose Rough Guides in the past but this one was printed on poor quality paper and not really that helpful to me.
on 9 September 2017
useful book
on 25 August 2017
A very useful and informative book.
on 2 July 2013
Superb guide book, made planning the holiday straightforward. Lots of photos, well laid out, and some great recommendations for accommodation and places to eat
on 11 August 2005
Contrary to some other reviewers I found this guide extremely helpful and easy to use when travelling through North West Sardinia for 10 days. It gives a general overview of the landscape and feel of locations, with more detail of towns, activities and places of specific interest. We took it with us most places, found it pretty much an accurate and interesting guide for our holiday and would've been lost without it!

It is not the most exciting book to read but I found it an excellent 'handbook' to Sardinia and its town centre maps an essential accompaniment to the more local not-so-helpful general tourist information. I felt it gave a varied and honest review of the different aspects to the country, its landscape, culture, food, facilities and people. Without being boring, it covers the practicalities and necessities of travelling, emphasising what is particularly relevant for Sardinia. There is also a handy language section at the back with some basic phrases, signs and lists of food for those who don't speak a word of Italian!
Some of the information about restaurants, camping facilities, tourist centre opening times and prices were slightly out of date or inaccurate but this is to be expected and was nothing to cause great distress or ruin its usefulness.
I would certainly suggest reading the introduction to and basics about Sardinia before going and then using the 'area guides' whilst out there. I recommend taking a detailed and comprehensive Map of Sardinia to accompany the guide book and a phrase book/dictionary if you want to make a proper go at communicating (my main mistake this time).
My only real criticism of the book is it suggests that going in August is a big no-no due to prices, temperature and extreme crowds. However, we went during the beginning of August, and although accommodation was more expensive, we found it is easy to avoid the crawling busy beaches by making a bit of effort, often were the only people at a tourist location and generally felt much less crowded and the temperature much more wonderful than we ever would in Manchester!
.....On another note, nothing will prepare you for the bad bus information and service, but the prices are cheap and its great fun to hire a moped or car if you really want to get around away from the overly touristy areas.
on 20 October 2013
We used this guide for a recent cycling tour around the island. Found it to be very useful.Must say the Lonely Plant Guide Book to Sardinia is equally as good.