on 10 December 2011
We toured New Zealand in a campervan and took a number of guidebooks, but the Rough Guide outshone all of them - it was our bible! Almost every place we passed through got a mention (particularly on South Island), with lots of useful information for the larger places as you'd expect, and information about the road ahead (including telling you when you were about to enter a region with no petrol stations/cash machines...)

We were short on time as we had less than a month there, and the Rough Guide helped us to find things we would have otherwise missed and to make the most of our time - short forest walks accessed from car parks along the road; great viewpoints; accessible caves; beaches with penguins and seals; interesting local museums. When part of our itinerary didn't go to plan, we were able to plan in something even better using the information in the guide. We also bought a road atlas, but for the towns we always found the Rough Guide town maps far clearer and more informative.

We generally found it very accurate and up to date - as long as you add about $5-10 dollars to the price of attractions and accommodation!

Overall - highly recommended!
on 15 May 2012
Although I grew up in New Zealand, it was over 20 years ago that I left, and there is a lot I don't know about the country from a tourist point of view.

My girlfriend and I are going on holiday to NZ at the end of this year and doing a "greatest hits" tour of the country, and this book was invaluable in helping to decide where is worth visiting, good places to stay and trips to go on. It is very down to earth in its approach, and if a place is not worth going to it tells you.

It also contains a good mix of travel information and historical and cultural detail to put the trip into context. I'll be sure to pack it along with all my other travel must-haves.
on 26 July 2015
Sent to relatives going to NZ - they liked it and it was useful if a bit past it with information. Good price though.
on 13 February 2014
I found excellent accommodation in waitomo and i got lost in rotorua - this booked completely saved me on both occasions. Always rough guide over lonely planet for me - the layout just seems to make more sense to me and easy to follow
on 8 November 2015
A present for a friend to help plan our holiday. Loads of ideas.
on 25 May 2013
Very nice friend on travel. I will buy more - it is very detailed and therefore quite big! But not so heavy ;-)
on 5 January 2012
Another Rough Guide which is easy to use, accurate and worth every penny. I toured the South Island recently and made extensive use of it and found it to be extremely useful.
on 11 December 2014
Do read this before you travel !
on 20 March 2012
This book contains detailed descriptions of all of the areas that tourists would want to visit in New Zealand. It also describes all the activities that are catered for. I am using it to plan a visit to the country and am finding it very useful. I have used Rough Guides before and found them excellent and this one is no exception.
on 5 April 2013
Wow can`t wait to go .Love Rough guides cos they say it how it actually is. Info for the real traveller who wants to feel the heart of the country