on 17 April 2012
Too much to expect fine detail about one specific region with nine under review, but we found the Alentejo section very helpful. It gave enough information about the landscape and the villages, towns and cities to help us decide where to go and what to look for. Everyone perhaps finds one village or location they enjoy that Rough Guide doesn't say much about, and we did in Redondo that only rates a mention of its flower festival. RG says it is pretty; it is, but not in any sense tourist-oriented, like the white towns of Andalucia, which it resembles. The church, with its 17th century blue and white tiles and sculptured chapels, we found very moving; the working potters, only too delighted to show us their work, were a pleasure to meet; even the shops were like English village shops of fifty years ago, and all the better for that. The local bread and cheeses are lovely.
RG is exactly right about the market in Estremoz: not entirely necessary to stay the night but the alternative is to get up early - after about 10.30 the real business is over; before then there are bargains galore. Elvas has somewhat updated its tourist office, and the map now has street names, but information about opening of churches and museums seems vague. RG advice on where to eat there is absolutely right: the good news is the locals don't arrive until nearly 1 pm so about 12.30 gives you complete freedom at Machado, and its prices are cheap. The cooking is done while you wait and the waiter is very friendly and helpful.
Overall, very glad we bought Rough Guide, and we will use it for a return visit to Portugal.
review imagereview imagereview image
on 6 April 2015
Just back from Portugal again and I can vouch for the quality of this guide. On one of our days out, we visited the far west of the Algarve and the experience was improved by what the guide told us. I'm sure with future editions, certain aspects will be updated but for now it serves just fine.
on 11 April 2015
Disappointed. Some of the restaurants in Faro, the capital of the Algarve were closed - and had obviously been closed for a few years. Thought the Rough Guides were updated regularly....
on 16 February 2017
Excellent introduction to this most fair and pleasant land,
on 20 January 2014
This book would be great for those doing a full tour of Portugal from top to bottom, as has a little bit of info about a lot of areas. However, for me, it only had about 5 pages on areas within a driveable distance (100km's) of where I was staying (The Algarve) so actually proved pretty useless. I left it at the hotel for the next person, didn't even bother bringing it home. I should have just bought an Algarve Guide.
on 30 December 2016
as described
on 2 September 2016
Fine product, quick delivery
on 30 October 2015
The Rough guide is an essential part of any holiday. Having it with us enabled us to find our way to the less obvious delights of Northern Portugal, also to venture on a day long train trip along the Douro Valley.
on 4 November 2013
This guide is OK, but it didn't turn me on or attract me to Portugal. I felt that it makes things seem ordinary. I still might go, but am less likely to do after reading this.
on 3 June 2013
This is up to the high standard of all the Rough Guides and we found it very useful. It is packed with lots of useful information from where to stay to where to eat, with contact numbers and opening times.