on 4 August 2013
I've been a Lonely Planet fan from the time of my very first travel. However, I was looking for an alternative as I find LP's recent layout re-styling absolutely horrible... Therefore the Rough Guide to Finland was my first Rough Guide. I must say, at first glance it looks great. But as I'm browsing through the book, I'm getting the impression that the only places of interest in Finland are its cities and villages. There's next to no information on nature, National Parks and other things to do in the outdoors. Also I miss some tips for itineraries and good directions to places of interest.

So sadly, this particular Rough Guide doesn't quite do it for me. I guess I just miss the practical and accurate information of Lonely Planet, so I might go back to them, even though I really hate their new-style guidebooks....
on 3 September 2010
We have used Rough guides for many years for our holidays abroad and have always found them helpful and informative. However, having waited for the new edition for Finland to be published in June before holidaying, we were greatly disappointed. Finland is a small country, so there is no excuse for the brevity of coverage for many geographical areas - there was no mention of anything at all within a 30 mile radius of where we were staying, in the popular Lake district. National parks get a brief mention, but there are no directions as to how to find them (and they are fairly well concealed....).
No mention either of the fact that in Finland, public toilets are a rare animal, and if sighted are either expensive or composting (I'm as ecologically aware as the next person, but the latter that we encountered were fairly off-putting). Finally, a complete omission of the usual 'Wildlife' section, so that the animals,birds, butterflies and plants (which, let's face it, if you're not there for skiing or fishing, are pretty much what you're left with as walking companions) go unidentified. And they get more expensive with every edition, so may well look at Lonely Planet next time.
on 16 May 2013
This was useful in terms of where I was interested in and providing a map for this area. I knew when I bought it that I would only be making use of one chapter, but will keep for the future and hopefully make more use of it. Only three star because the version is 2010 - yes, my own fault for not checking carefully when I bought it, but this meant that many of the restaurant guides etc were for restaurants that had closed down or changed management and were completely different. Something to be aware of.
on 6 August 2014
Very good. I tend to feel that the Rough Guides are the best of genre.
on 9 July 2016