on 16 February 2011
Can't recommend this highly enough. This map was responsible for the best fun ever, finding our way round the souks. I can now navigate reasonably confidently on certain routes round them. It also helped us find our way round the rest of Marrakech, so much better on foot when you can encounter all those wonderful details.
on 17 August 2011
Put bluntly, I can't read most of it and that is a bit of a down side for a map, to say the least. The street index is just a blur to me!

However, the major streets are readable so there is the option to get your bearings by those. My accommodation is marked on it, so I have some sense of how it will related to various other places. It just feels that it could have been so much better; maybe if they had just limited it to Marrakech - rather than including Essaouira - it would have given them more space to play with.

It includes a neat little guide to opening times of some of the major attractions; it's pretty clever in that it has details of a dozen or so places in one table.

I've just got used to the spelling 'Marrakech' and this uses 'Marrakesh', but I won't let that worry me. I've given a relatively low score. That's probably a reflection on the fact that it could have been so much better, but it still looks pretty buseful.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2012
Very good map and vastly better than the maps provided in the various guide books (the Lonley Planet one in particular). This is the only map I've come across which has any hope of actually being any use in Marrakech - most of the others you may as well take a map of Paris for all the good it will do you and the various freebies given out by hotels etc. you'd be better navigating by the stars (when you can see them). The map has every little Derb and ally marked and named which means you're never far from an identifiable reference point. The map of the Ville Nouvelle is pretty good as is the one of Essouria but the map of the surrounding area is a little out of date, not showing the new Autoroute for example, it also lives up to its claim of being very difficult to tear or deface.
on 8 May 2011
A MUST buy.
You will take it everywhere you go & open it about 500 times during your trip, especially in the Medina/old quarter.

Not all the streets have sign posts - so this map is really useful to identify landmarks to navigate your way around. Includes some key restaurants, tourist sights on the map too.

This is much more detailed than the maps you'll get in the riad/hotels/tourist information.

Get the Rough Guide - Morocco" as well if you're going there to do lots of shopping -it a slightly more detailed map/description of the souks.

Summary - buy this.
on 26 February 2012
Whenever I travel anywhere slightly off the beaten track the Rough guide map is the first thing I pick up.

Unfortunately this time through no fault of its own it does not get a five star.

The street names in reality are nearly all in arabic so the names on here help little.

We had major problems finding some of the major attractions.

One couple had a map with photos on to show the main sites. In Marrakesh this would help a great deal.
on 29 January 2014
Had all the alley ways and souks so meant could work out where we were. Was also useful for navigating when driving through in car as street are very narrow and numerous. Also can just screw it up in a pocket and still was ok. So very hard wearing for map. Unfortunately when we leant it to a friend their dog ate it. It just wasn;t the same after that! But would buy another if returned to Marrakesh and recommend it
on 25 August 2011
I found this map really useful as although there are plenty of city maps to be had for free in Marrakesh the scale of them is too small. The Rough Guide Map had excellent detail which was essential for negotiating the crazy little streets. It is also waterproof and pretty resilient to being stuffed in a rucksack and lots of folding and unfolding. Brilliant. And it had a map of Essaouira as well as a bonus.
on 2 July 2011
We usually buy Lonely Planet or Rough Guide books but I was a bit dubious after reading the reviews about this one. My other half still wanted it so we bought it. I have to agree with others. It's not easy to use, it doesn't have great information and it is a bit condescending. There are others that are a lot better.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2012
I bought this to take on holiday as it would fit inside my handbag when out exploring the souks. Made of very durable material and cover is waterproof (watch out for the monsoon-like downpours that occur occasionally!!) Well laid out and easy to understand - even for a mere woman!!
on 28 August 2013
It's a very good map, especially for the souks. We didn't get lost once thanks to this map. Also good quality and doesn't tear.
Our guide book (Frommer's Marrakech Day by Day) came with a map that was totally useless in the souks.